Thread: An Atkins thumbhole saw, but which model?

An Atkins thumbhole saw, but which model?

This is probably a no-brainer for a lot of you, but since I don't have access to all the Atkins catalogues I am unsure about the model number for this Atkins saw that I've recently acquired.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnber...7635398459315/
    The nuts are brass and have never been nickel plated, the saw plate is a skewback which would indicate the model no 52. The saw plate very faintly displays the July 7th 1896 patent date.
    I read a post somewhere about Atkins making four thumbhole saw models, but now I cannot find my back to the same resource and without other reference I can't be sure about the model.

Atkins_thumbhole_no52 methinks_01.jpg

Regards from Finland where summer just won't let go.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets

Sure looks like a Disston made saw rebadged,maybe?

My 1919 Atkins catalog (reprint) shows 3 thumbhole saws. All are skewbacks and the handles seem identical decorated applewood, so it looks like you will have to determine the model number from screws, blade shape, and blade etch
    No 66 is shown with the "Rex" etch, and nickel plated screws not brass screws like yours
    No 51 is shown with the "Atkins,... patented July 7 1898" logo etch, but the heel of the saw plate is shown much more rounded than yours
    No 52 is shown with the "Atkins" logo etch, (without the Pat date), and the saw plate is shown shaped like yours at the heel. This is Atkins' "no set" saw for fine cabinet work, and the statement etch (alongside the logo etch) appears to say "This high tempered Silver Steel Saw cannot be excelled
    for workmanship material finish and rapid cutting.
    It should be run without set
    E C Atkins Co"

Details in catalogs are somewhat unreliable and details for some models change over the production life, but you may be able to identify your saw from the above data.
    Last edited by Rob Paul; 09-10-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Hi Rob
    I appreciate your info. I had arrived at roughly the same conclusion - with a lot of help from Michael Merlo.

I will inspect the statement etch more thoroughly. Another clue is the steel. The steel in the no set no 52 had a higher degree of temper which means the steel ought to be harder to file.

The floral decorations on the handle doesn't match the description for this model but then again the descriptions didnt always match reality.

Kim

I have just found the exact same saw . Came with a bunch of Disston D8's I bought but mine has a walnut handle!EC Atkins #52 Thumb Hole Saw with Walnut handle.jpg

Mike

Blog Entries
    Here is something found since this thread first appeared > http://www.archive.org/details/sawssawtools00atki

It is an old Atkins Company catalog that can be downloaded.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    After looking through a few catalogs I still can't find any thumbhole saws by Atkins.

You might have better luck than me here > https://archive.org/details/internat...cataloglibrary

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Easiest way to tell IF the handle wasn't part of the saw when first sold.....take the handle off, and you MIGHT see other holes in the plate from where the OEM handle's bolts went through...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use