Thread: supply source for replacement compressor motor

supply source for replacement compressor motor

My air compressor motor failed at just over 5 years old. It is a 1.75hp (about 15a) 120/240v 3450 rpm motor. Who do you buy replacement motors from? Does anyone have any experience with Harbor Freight motors or Northern Tool sells Irontron at very good pricing?

Are you sure that the motor is toast? Take it to a motor repair/rewinding shop and have them look at it. Just might be a simple fix. If it is not repairable, the shop might be able to order one or have a new or used replacement.

Or, call an electrical supply house for a reccommendation.

Do you have a Grainger account or someone that does? Grainger is agood source for all sorts of items.

Take a look around here; http://www.surpluscenter.com/electri...tname=electric I've never been disapointed with them.

I bought a 1/2 hp 1750 RPM motor from Harbor Freight to power a V-Drum sander I built. The price was right and it has performed flawlessly for a year or so now. That is just one data point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jeansonne View Post
    My air compressor motor failed at just over 5 years old. It is a 1.75hp (about 15a) 120/240v 3450 rpm motor. Who do you buy replacement motors from? Does anyone have any experience with Harbor Freight motors or Northern Tool sells Irontron at very good pricing?
    When you say motor failed, did you let magic smoke out of wires. If so' it's toast. If it makes a growling noise instead of starting, then its either the start switch, or start capacitor, both of which serviceable. Bearings can be replaced, using a "loaner gear " from local auto parts place. Most likely your motor uses 6203 2 RS bearings, which can be had from Fastenal for about two bucks each..

I have a 1978 vintage Craftsman 3 hp motor on a 30 gallon compressor. Motor quit. It turned out to only be a filthy centrifugal switch. I blew it out thoroughly and it started like new. I now have over a year or about 100 hrs on it !

No direct replacement was available so I consider my self lucky. Just a suggestion to check it out ........
    Dick Mahany.

Is this an oilless or belt drive? If oilless with the pump frame and motor being one and the same.. your options are slim to none. If belt drive.. motors are available from about any supplier of motors.

Oh, and check the motor mount... some compressors have custom motor mounts that you may have to modify!
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 09-08-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Take a look around here; http://www.surpluscenter.com/electri...tname=electric I've never been disapointed with them.
    If you need a motor or anything similar, I would try these guys (Surplus Center a.k.a. Burden Sales-for new stuff) before Harbor Freight and Northern Tool. Maybe even McMaster Carr, Tractor Supply, and Grainger. A lot of what Surplus Center sells is NOS (New Old Stock), just overstock, or surplus. Most of what I have seen listed and purchased has been name brand and in new condition, unlike Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.

I purchased a 3 HP compressor motor from HF and it has been running very good for the last 7 years. I also purchased 2 one HP motors from HF and they have been running good for 4 years. I know a lot of people knock HF motors but so far I have had good luck with them.

Look up the frame size and buy a Baldor or Marathon or Leeson even a WEG of comparable speed and voltage and phase and duty on ebay. Done.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Another good source, assuming its belt drive, is EletricMotorSite.com. I've bought a couple top-quality motors from them and even with shipping they were well priced (but not HF/Norrthern Tool no-name cheap.)

Thanks so much for all the responses. The motor was turning very slow, grunting, and then the breaker would trip. I thought it was the starting capacitor but I swapped one from another motor and no change. I had not checked the centrifugal switch and I really should have. Dick's comment made me go check it out. Sure enough, it was stuck. I messed with it to loosen up and did a temporary re-assembly and it WORKED! I need to clean it up better and reassemble. You guys just saved me from bringing it to a service shop and pay a service call or possibly a new motor. Thanks again. This shows how valuable this forum is.