Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are full overlay doors really FULL overlay?

Helpfull explanation ,I have been guilty of confusing the two terms. So FULL overlay are the cabinets that don't look like old ice boxes .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Helpfull explanation ,I have been guilty of confusing the two terms. So FULL overlay are the cabinets that don't look like old ice boxes .
    Short answer is yes!

More likely response....."what's an old icebox look like?"

JeffD

I agree with Jeff, but I haven't used Blum's compact hinges. I did a little experiment this evening after I shut down to see what I could get out of a normal 1/2" overlay (euro) hinge and standard face plate.

Normal application is to bore the stile @ 5mm. I took a random piece of Alder and bored it @ 10mm. Doing this, I got the door to a 3/4" overlay, but it only opened 80*. Playing around, I chamfered the back to give relief and let it open past 90*, but not to it's full 110*. See pics for clarification.

Regardless, you can't have a 0mm/0" margin on back to back doors with "this" hinge. 1/8" reveal is ideal. A 3/4" overlay would give an 1/8" reveal a face frame that is 1-5/8". If you have a solo door an end or against a wall/tall cabinet, you can't get a full overlay using this method... nor would I recommend it to minimum the margin.

My distributor sells Blum, so my knowledge is limited. Plus, building new cabinets, I can dictate the face frame or construction method to reach the customers wants. Rework stinks.

IMG_2042.jpgIMG_2046.jpgIMG_2047.jpgIMG_2048.jpg
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Krupowies View Post
    The specs I see on the Blum site show that there needs to be a 7/32" or 9/32" reveal between the outside edge of the frame and the edge of the door. So on back to back doors there would be a 14/32" or 18/32" (7/16" or 9/16") gap between the doors.
    Those reveals are not additive. One gap of 7/32 would allow either door to open. One way to get a tighter reveal would be to use the Blum "120+" (b073T....) with a "0" height mounting plate and a 6mm edge bore. As shown on the spec. sheet, you would end up with a 19mm (3/4") overlay before adjustment---or a 21 mm overlay when adjusted fully out, and the minimum reveal between pairs would be 1.9mm--(3/32). (assuming a 3/4 (19mm) thick door---a thinner door would allow a tighter reveal)

Spec. sheet
    Last edited by Jerry Miner; 09-10-2013 at 2:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    I always thought that "full overlay" wasn't in reference to the amount of reveal but rather meant
    that the door, in thickness, fully sat on front surface of the cabinet (face frame or not), rather than being either partially or completely inset.
    You are confusing "full overlay" and "half overlay" with "half inset" or "3/8 inset"

The first two are used in reference to euro-hinges and refer to how far beyond the edge of the opening the door edge extends. The second two refer to the offset from the plane of the face frame and are used when the door has a rabbeted edge that creates a "lipped" door edge.

http://d1.blum.com/mefiles/BEC003/co...l_$aqu_$v1.xls

Here's a link to Blum's compact hinge planner. It will reach the reveals you need. If you have 2 face frames butted and their respective doors are back-to-back, then yes, you will have a reveal of 7/16 or 9/16 depending on hinge selection. Hopefully the cabinets weren't built that way. That type of cabinet construction is something usually purchased at a BORG or found in rentals (at least in my area).
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    http://d1.blum.com/mefiles/BEC003/co...l_$aqu_$v1.xls

Here's a link to Blum's compact hinge planner. It will reach the reveals you need. If you have 2 face frames butted and their respective doors are back-to-back, then yes, you will have a reveal of 7/16 or 9/16 depending on hinge selection. Hopefully the cabinets weren't built that way. That type of cabinet construction is something usually purchased at a BORG or found in rentals (at least in my area).
    Not sure I'm following you here.....the FF's are 1-5/8" according to the OP, so even if there are 2 frames back to back he only needs a 7/32" reveal between them. Not sure where your 7/16" is coming from?

JeffD

I see what you're saying, Jeff. *note to self - Finish coffee before posting* I was only looking at one overlay distance.

Would an outside profile that reduces the thickness of the door stile enable you to get a tighter reveal with those hinges? I assume Blum bases their numbers off of 3/4" stock?

Thanks for the correction.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    I see what you're saying, Jeff. *note to self - Finish coffee before posting* I was only looking at one overlay distance.

Would an outside profile that reduces the thickness of the door stile enable you to get a tighter reveal with those hinges? I assume Blum bases their numbers off of 3/4" stock?

Thanks for the correction.
    Weeellll.....maybe So here's the thing, the Blum catalog will give you basic specs for basic configurations so that you can find something that will work for a defined situation. If you delve into the specs it will spell out the minimum reveal and the details that go with it....like door thickness. Once you step outside that boundary it falls into the great unknown. At this point it's a matter of try it and see! I know this b/c I often use doors that are 13/16"+ thickness So changing things like how close the hinge is bored to the edge of the door, profiling the outer edge of the door, and even profiling, (well simply rounding anyway), the inner edge of the door can reduce the minimum reveal. Of course using the right hinge that allows a large overlay as well as a small reveal also makes a difference. With a bit of fiddling the compact 33's can leave you a very small reveal....say 1/8" strong or so.

So what I do when needed is set up a prototype which is just an L-shaped length of stock imitating a FF meeting the side of a cabinet/panel/door etc., and a length of stock to represent the door. I mount my "door" with a plate that'll give me the right range of overlay and then gradually adjust it in to the corner until it binds, then you can see where shaving a little, or profiling a little, or even moving the hinge location can affect the reveal. It's a bit of trial and error but is fairly quick and easy to do and ensures your finished project works as it should

hope that helps!
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Krupowies View Post
    A friend of mine has asked me to give an estimate for replacing all his cabinet doors (26 doors) in his kitchen. They would like mission style doors, which is nice because there is no profile to be concerned about. They want the doors to be full overlay on face frame cabinets and he is expecting that full overlay would cover all of the frame. Looking at the Blum hinge selection guide it shows a 7/32" reveal for the 39C type hinge and a 9/32" reveal for the 38C hinge. Is this normal or standard for full overlay doors? Are there any hinges that will provide for truly full overlay doors yet still allow the doors to open?

Thanks for the help
    Stan
    Full & half overlay are usually for frameless. I am building faceframe cabinets too and using 1-1/4" overlay hinges which, on 1.5" wide faceframes, should leave about 1/4" visible; they are also available in 1.5" overlay... but keep in mind you need some clearance if in a corner or against a wall or another cabinet. I bought mine on ebay as blumotion hinges and didn't check if they are 38 or 39 series...

I just went to my seller's ebay store and the normal/NOT SOFT CLOSE for 1.5" OL are 39C358C.24.
    He sells the BLUMOTION Soft Close 1.5" OL for $2.75 here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUM-OVERLAY...item826b7a2165

They are available all the way up to 1-9/16" OL.

Hope this helps.