Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many bowls per day?

In a given night after the kid goes to sleep, I can rough out about 2 bowls in 1.5-2 hours. I just got the mcnaughton medium/large system and am learning with that,but it is giving me 2-3 times as many bowls in the same time frame, maybe 10 minutes more per blank in setup and such.

Finishing is another hour or so per bowl, depending it is is going to be a highly finished/polished bowl, add time, or if it is a rustic style where I don't need to take it down as much with the higher grits.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Clif realize there is a difference between a production turner and an experienced turner. Glenn Lucas and Mike Mahoney are production turners, where time is money for them. They make their living from selling what they make, so they need to make more than one or two bowls a day (they do 25+ per day). They spend all day, 5-6 days a week at the lathe, and they have developed a lot of skill over 20 years of doing production work, so don't think you can do what they do. Glenn used to make 4,000 bowls a year, he's down to around 2,000-2,500 a year now. Mike did several thousand a year also but has cut back production work and wants to spend more time on other projects and ideas.

Years ago I was the same as you when I first started, for me it was somewhat frustrating to spend all weekend and only complete one bowl if I was lucky. That's when I figured I could use some pointers so I took Glenn's and Mike's 5-day Signature Class at Craft Supplies (Glenn's twice and Mike's once). It's helped for sure, but I'm no where near Glenn's speed (who in my mind is faster than Mike). Yes it's all about enjoying the process, but for me I enjoy the process a lot more when I don't spend 1/2 the day on one bowl (but it can happen).

Glenn makes 2-1/2 passes on the outside of his bowls to rough them out. I take at least 10-12. But there are many factors leading to Glenn's 2-1/2 passes: lathe that can handle a big cut (3-hp lathe), sharp tools (Glenn's roughing gouge can take up to a 2" wide cut, I only take a 3/4" cut), and of course technique, skill, experience, etc. Also Glenn starts with planks that have been cut on a bandsaw mill, not log form like most of us. This means Glenn doesn't have all the bark and unevenness to deal with (no air-wood-air), and can start right in cutting solid wood with big cuts.

Glenn has devised a fast way to mount and unmount blanks using his stub arbor and modified faceplate. Mike uses a screw center which is what I use. Others use a faceplate, and I started out with a faceplate as well. I don't think Glenn's system would work for me because I don't start with smooth planks.

I can rough shape the outside of a 13"-15" salad bowl in about 12 minutes including tenon. I can completely rough turn a dozen bowls in several hours where Glenn might do the same thing in 1/2 hour. I'm also 18 years older than Glenn and after a few bowls will slow down as I get tired.

For dried salad bowl blanks, I can finish turn the outside and inside and be ready for sanding in as little as 30 minutes, but sometimes it takes an hour or more. This doesn't allow time for embellishments or fancy details, but on a utility bowl you don't want details where food and bacteria can get trapped. I also turn simple shapes but concentrate on a pleasing curve, consistent wall thickness, and proper proportions for height/width and base. Each bowl is of course an opportunity to practice what I've learned, and with practice comes efficiency. I think I spend too much time removing and finishing the bottom, so I'm working on that.

Glenn spends 4 minutes sanding a bowl. Mike said if he spends more than 15 minutes sanding, he's losing money. I spend longer than that. For a utility piece you don't have to inspect it with a magnifying glass to see if you've got every single scratch removed. Glenn uses his sandpaper once and throws it away. I still try and get 2 or 3 bowls from each piece of sandpaper but I am getting better at throwing it away sooner.

As you're starting out, concentrate more on developing your skill, a pleasing shape, nice curve inside and out, consistent wall and bottom thickness, base, etc. Speed comes with repetition. If you can make a bowl in 2 hours that's fine. But if the finished piece looks and feels like crap, then was it worth hurrying? Quality first, then quantity.

Well, many years ago, it took me about an hour to finish turn a 10 by 3 inch bowl. Now, I can do it under 5 minutes. More horse power, more torque, refined techniques, and lots of practice. Drilled recess in the top, tooled recess in the bottom. That was done strictly for time. 10 bowls that size in an hour is no problem. I have to dry them before sanding, and sanding generally takes a bit longer.

robo hippy

Pat, said a mouth full and what was said is spot on. I would like to add that "time is money" for a production turner but "time is precious" for a hobby turner. With that in mind always keep an open mind for processes and efficiencies in your shop. What you're hearing about speed is tool control but it is due to process and efficiencies. Most turners over time develop processes and efficiencies that take less time in sharpening, holding methods, cuts, forming tenons/recesses and etc. Allow yourself the privilege to develop yours in your shop environment and tools available to you. As your shop grows in tools available so will your growth be in new processes and efficiencies. As your processes and efficiencies grow you can't help but develop better tool control by being in the shop and working with them. Tool control isn't just about the gouge, scrapers and etc. it is about all tools in your shop. All this equates to faster production and a more satisfying shop time. Good luck and enjoy the process.
    Last edited by Dale Bonertz; 09-11-2013 at 7:50 AM.

I do it for fun so I rarely hurry. Also only been at it for a couple of years now. In general I am in the ballpark of being able to get a couple done on any given Sat / Sun because I usually tinker with a few other things while I am in my shop.

I did make a small 6" maple bowl in 90 minutes from chainsaw to photo booth......

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    First liar doesn't have a chance. I can turn a bowl in 2 minutes. You didn't mention size. What's the hurry? A beginner that worries about speed is cheating himself of the joy of turning. Learn the process, be safe, throw away a few, and for goodness sake, don't get in a rush to sell. Every new guy thinks he will pay off the new lathe with his "art". Throw them away, or give them to your aunt. Just have some fun! After you've messed up a few, find a mentor in a local club. This isn't a skill learned easily on the Internet and YouTube.
    I was just wondering after seeing turners in person and in videos move quickly through the process. I'm not in any hurry. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    In a given night after the kid goes to sleep, I can rough out about 2 bowls in 1.5-2 hours. I just got the mcnaughton medium/large system and am learning with that,but it is giving me 2-3 times as many bowls in the same time frame, maybe 10 minutes more per blank in setup and such.

Finishing is another hour or so per bowl, depending it is is going to be a highly finished/polished bowl, add time, or if it is a rustic style where I don't need to take it down as much with the higher grits.
    Thanks, Aggie. That's good info. Xmas isn't that far away and a McNaughton system would make a great gift (for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Clif realize there is a difference between a production turner and an experienced turner. Glenn Lucas and Mike Mahoney are production turners, where time is money for them. They make their living from selling what they make, so they need to make more than one or two bowls a day (they do 25+ per day). They spend all day, 5-6 days a week at the lathe, and they have developed a lot of skill over 20 years of doing production work, so don't think you can do what they do. Glenn used to make 4,000 bowls a year, he's down to around 2,000-2,500 a year now. Mike did several thousand a year also but has cut back production work and wants to spend more time on other projects and ideas.

Years ago I was the same as you when I first started, for me it was somewhat frustrating to spend all weekend and only complete one bowl if I was lucky. That's when I figured I could use some pointers so I took Glenn's and Mike's 5-day Signature Class at Craft Supplies (Glenn's twice and Mike's once). It's helped for sure, but I'm no where near Glenn's speed (who in my mind is faster than Mike). Yes it's all about enjoying the process, but for me I enjoy the process a lot more when I don't spend 1/2 the day on one bowl (but it can happen).

Glenn makes 2-1/2 passes on the outside of his bowls to rough them out. I take at least 10-12. But there are many factors leading to Glenn's 2-1/2 passes: lathe that can handle a big cut (3-hp lathe), sharp tools (Glenn's roughing gouge can take up to a 2" wide cut, I only take a 3/4" cut), and of course technique, skill, experience, etc. Also Glenn starts with planks that have been cut on a bandsaw mill, not log form like most of us. This means Glenn doesn't have all the bark and unevenness to deal with (no air-wood-air), and can start right in cutting solid wood with big cuts.

Glenn has devised a fast way to mount and unmount blanks using his stub arbor and modified faceplate. Mike uses a screw center which is what I use. Others use a faceplate, and I started out with a faceplate as well. I don't think Glenn's system would work for me because I don't start with smooth planks.

I can rough shape the outside of a 13"-15" salad bowl in about 12 minutes including tenon. I can completely rough turn a dozen bowls in several hours where Glenn might do the same thing in 1/2 hour. I'm also 18 years older than Glenn and after a few bowls will slow down as I get tired.

For dried salad bowl blanks, I can finish turn the outside and inside and be ready for sanding in as little as 30 minutes, but sometimes it takes an hour or more. This doesn't allow time for embellishments or fancy details, but on a utility bowl you don't want details where food and bacteria can get trapped. I also turn simple shapes but concentrate on a pleasing curve, consistent wall thickness, and proper proportions for height/width and base. Each bowl is of course an opportunity to practice what I've learned, and with practice comes efficiency. I think I spend too much time removing and finishing the bottom, so I'm working on that.

Glenn spends 4 minutes sanding a bowl. Mike said if he spends more than 15 minutes sanding, he's losing money. I spend longer than that. For a utility piece you don't have to inspect it with a magnifying glass to see if you've got every single scratch removed. Glenn uses his sandpaper once and throws it away. I still try and get 2 or 3 bowls from each piece of sandpaper but I am getting better at throwing it away sooner.

As you're starting out, concentrate more on developing your skill, a pleasing shape, nice curve inside and out, consistent wall and bottom thickness, base, etc. Speed comes with repetition. If you can make a bowl in 2 hours that's fine. But if the finished piece looks and feels like crap, then was it worth hurrying? Quality first, then quantity.
    Thanks, Pat, for the detailed response. Exactly what I was looking for. I will look up those classes. There are also volunteer instructors from my local AAW chapter I plan to look up.

Thanks guys for all the responses. That's what I needed to know, and much more!

I've been turning for about 3 years and I consider myself a newbe still. I turn green then come back when the bowl dries. I have a lot of logs waiting to be turn. I have turned around 200 bowls, most chunky and not consistent, but nice looking. Only in the last month or so have I been turning thinner ( 1/4 to 3/8 inch) and consistent wall thickness. And with little or no tool marks. When I started out I could ruff out a bowl in a couple hours. Now maybe 1/2 hr. and finish turning in a hour. Depending on size. My biggest bowl to date is 22 inch's. I have not tried segmented bowl yet. Don't worry about speed enjoy the turning and learn tool control.

Dan J.