Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jack plane and smoothing plane

Oh, and by the way, I'm from Enfield, Connecticut, so if they're any woodworkers proficient in planing who live near me...

It's real money, but a weekend with Bob Van Dyke at the Connecticut valley woodworking school would be well spent.

Section 113013A, Handplane weekend with Bob Van Dyke.
    Bob can be crusty, but he gets it across - and he's in your neighborhood.

Think of a course like this as an accelerator - you skip ahead 3 months in skills over a weekend.

http://www.schoolofwoodworking.com/w...g-classes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Nice shaving Matt. I have been wondering if there is any market for pieces of sub-thou shavings mounted on slides for biology classes or forensic scientists.

I had some nice ones yesterday. Guess I will need to take some pictures before gloating. The biggest embarrassment for me is it came from a modern bevel up plane.

jtk
    Not meaning to hijack but since we are discussing sharpness...

While I was playing around with the #5 I also was playing around with my #4. This is some curly Maple with an original iron in my type 9(1902 patent date) Bailey. This board was as smooth as glass and virtually no tearout. All possible from the knowledge of this forum.

My problem was that I didn't know...what it was I didn't know. Until I asked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ranum View Post
    Not meaning to hijack but since we are discussing sharpness...

While I was playing around with the #5 I also was playing around with my #4. This is some curly Maple with an original iron in my type 9(1902 patent date) Bailey. This board was as smooth as glass and virtually no tearout. All possible from the knowledge of this forum.

My problem was that I didn't know...what it was I didn't know. Until I asked.
    Not sure showing the results of sharpness is a hijack. After all, the greatest pleasures of hand plane usage are found with a well honed blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim,

I'll be contacting Woodcraft (C S Of W) tomorrow. Hopefully I'm not too late.