Thread: American Chestnut? and Pith?

American Chestnut? and Pith?

My uncle recently brought me a few pieces of chestnut from a family farm in Pennsylvania. The pieces are from a branch that came down in a storm. Family folklore says it is a blight resistant American Chestnut that was planted by my great-great-great grandfather over the grave of one of his sons. Don't know if all of that is true, but it makes a good story. My Uncle has asked me to do some pieces for family members. Most of the logs area small diameter so I was thinking of doing end grain bowls or vases. What is my best chance of doing these without the pith cracking? I have no experience with doing end grain pieces like this. I've done some goblets but none with pith. Most of my bowl turning has been turn-dry-turn or turning dry stock. Any help would be appreciated. There was one 10" log which I roughed into two bowl blanks which are now drying. However there is a ring defect/crack in them. I am hoping to save them with CA.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

nobody has much experience with chestnut, very rare, sometimes find some in old barns and such
    generally , turn it before it starts to check and crack, turn it thin, offset the pith from the center of the turning
    if you have a limb, the pith will wander in limbs
    good luck

The two bowls you roughed with "ring defect/crack", I hope it's not wind shake or ring shake as some call it. That can be bad news. Be careful when finish turning those, if you hear a different sound, maybe a clicking noise, check it closely. Wind shake can come apart without warning...stay out of the line of fire. Slower speeds are better. As far as the end grain pieces with the pith, soak the grain with thin CA where the tenon will be, turn consistently thin through out, add more CA to pith after hollowing and cross your fingers. It can be a crap shoot. Good luck.

If the tree is really a mature, blight-resistant, American chestnut, you have an important genetic resource. Consider contacting the American Chestnut Foundation or Penn State School of Forest Resources to see if seeds from your tree can contribute to the restoration of the chestnut.

Like Richard M said watch for wind shake its very dangerous to turn. Also agree with Bruce P their where VERY FEW blight resistant
    American Chestnut.The Chinese Chestnut is what we have most of today. We need the seeds from that tree.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Blog Entries
    Something to read about concerning the American Chestnut:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut_blight
    Have a Nice Day!