Thread: Search Help/New Posts Option?????

Search Help/New Posts Option?????

Every so often, when I'm not paying close attention, I will open up a SMC email notification to a thread that I am following and not get back to SMC for an hour or two. When I do get back, SMC shows me as having visited within the last few hours and my "NEW POSTS" option has only a few posts in it as opposed to all of the posts in the past day or so since my last "REAL" visit. I tried once or twice to use the "SEARCH" option to find all posts in the last 24 hours; but could never figure out how to do that so my only alternative is to go back and scan each forum and check dates and times of recent posts.....which is a pain.
    Anyone know a quick and dirty "work-around" of this problem or do I just need to quit responding to my email notifications??? Thanks!!

No takers on this one???

Hmmm. Gee Randy...I always thought that the New Posts got shortened up due to the Forum engine doing an automated cleanup sort of thing. It didn't appear to be related to how I was using the system. Now you make me wonder.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

The "New Posts" is supposed to be all the new ones since you visited last. I find it is not accurateall the time. I will try to remeber the ones of interest and find them in the Forums.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

When you visit SMC (by clicking on a link in the email or directly), you effectively "clear" your new posts after about 40 minutes or so. Reaccessing the site later will only reflect new material that happended since your last visit. This is not SMC specific, but a "feature" of the vBulletin software it runs on.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some message boards that I have visited have a search provision that allows one to search by date or time rather than by key word or author. You can ask for all posts in the past "X" number of hours or days. Generally they are set up for increments like past two hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, 2 days 7 days or 30 days. Sometimes BB software has lots of options that are not always configured for a particular board. Any of you folks know if VB software has such a capability??

I tried that out Randy and it wants a search term as well. I tried common words like "like, have, want" etc...but it doesn't allow common words as search terms. That's a good idea though. I'd like the capabilty to see what's been posted over 24 or 48 hours.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Yeah, John. Some boards will let you use a "wildcard"(asterisk) in the key word field so you get all posts; but that doesn't work here??