Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help choosing new lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Ben.......that is good news..........does it have a manufacture date on it? I remember reading on a forum somewhere that Nova's were made in Asia now........however, not everything one reads on a forum is always accurate!

Maybe they were thinking about the chucks when they posted, but I know the post said the dvr was made in China and that may not be correct at all!
    Well I checked their website and unfortunately it does say that most Nova's stuff is made in China now. I couldn't find a manufacture date on mine. I wonder if mine is new old stock. That would explain why it was $500 off.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

have a line on a older delta x-5 any good?

Nova lathes have been made in China for several years now. Nova has a factory there, so anyone buying one recently with "made in NZ" bought an old stock lathe. I got that info directly from Nova several years ago when I bought my Jet, so it isn't based on rumors.

Simon, on the X5 do some homework online. There were problems with the electronics on that lathe. It was also never too popular, long discontinued and parts are an issue, including the VFD availability. I also don't know if it was American made (or Asian). Also some comments on the way the bed is attached to the lathe.

As for your parameters, I'll be honest in suggesting that you reconsider your priorities. For the price you have eliminated most options, and as others noted you are pretty much reliant on a used lathe. A used DVR or a new, older stock one made in New Zealand is perhaps the only real option.

Variable speed is a huge benefit, and to put that low on the list of needs is curious. I try to avoid Chinese machines in most cases, but the Taiwanese products are generally proven and solid performers (Jet, Powermatic) with good warranties.

Lastly consider the headstock options. A sliding headstock is really nice and a much more common feature these days.

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind, even if a lathe is made over seas, the company still has it made to their specs and they employ people here. I have a Powermatic 4224 and I absolutely love it. Tons of features and rock solid. If you like that, the 4224B is probably the most lathe you'll ever get for the money. Everything you could want can come with it. A little bigger than what you're looking for but I always say "go bigger than you ever expect to need."
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

He probably did, but he wants your opinion.
    My opinion is that for that kind of money, buy an Asian lathe with good American distribution, reputation and warranty. Non Asian iron/steel is a lot more $.
    Bang for the buck is Jet, Powermatic, Delta, etc.
    Best at any price is Stubby, Oneway, Robust, etc.

I don't like it, and parts are surely not available because of what Delta has become.

Blog Entries
    For the fun of it, check out the VB36. This is the ultimate lathe imho. Problem is, you will need a lot of devices specific for the VB36 to be fully set up. Somewhere in the $14,000.00 to $15,000.00 fully equipped. What a thing of beauty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

well i can get the delta for about $1300 (it's an USA made model) shipped or I might get a vicmarc vl300 barebones for around $3000 with motor and vfd and go that rote.

The Vicmarc is a very nice lathe with it's only real limitation being the bed length if you ever wanted to turn long spindles or bed posts. I played with the one Jim Adkins won while visiting him and I like the lathe a lot. Almost better than his Stubby. $3000 seems like a heck of a deal.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I've never need more then 24" of bed so that doesn't brother me. Does any one sell the Vicmarc vl200 in the US? The Vicmarc vl200 would be more then enough lathe for me.

I just picked up the Nova 2024. Great machine and (still) on sale at Amazon.com for $2644. I have Amazon Prime so free shipping was included. Could have saved a lot more if I would have applied for Amazon credit card at point of sale. I am a newbie. Upgraded from a HF 1236. I was going to get something smaller but the wife said to go bigger/better because "I know you'll just want the next step up sooner rather than later." I married a good one.

Well I think I'am going to get the Vicmarc I figure I'll never have to upgrade again(maybe). Thanks for all the advice, and to pay you guys back I'll post pics of the new lathe when it arrives!

Simon, if you are considering used, I've seen two PM3520As come up for sale in the last week or two for $2500 and $2200. I think both have some extras, not sure. The point is that you can get a nice lathe with a 20" swing for that budget.

On that note, if you want to have fun... Do like I did. Buy a mid to late 70s through mid 90s PM90 for about $300. Do a full restoration, give it a more powerful 3 phase motor, a VFD to make it run on single phase, add a potentiometer (speed control) FWD/REV and ESTOP (didn't add that but again...would), a 4" riser for the headstock, then (not what I did, but would have worked perfectly and what I would do if I had it to do over again) get a PM3520A or B banjo and tailstock. You'll have under $1500 in. And it'll be worth OVER that easily. Actually ended up selling mine for $2200. Just a thought...
    I drink, therefore I am.