Thread: Perfprmax 10-20 Drum Sander Maintenance Questions

Perfprmax 10-20 Drum Sander Maintenance Questions

I recently acquired a Performax 10-20 drum sander from a friend. The sander was manufactured in 2003 and I am the third owner.

I have been cleaning and adjusting the sander and have some questions regarding maintenance of the sander.

I have tracking issues with the platen belt as most owners have experienced. I acquired the ceramic trackers and installed them but have found they do not solve the tracking problem. I carefully adjusted the belt tension screws be equal but the belt wanders toward the motor. Even reversed the belt but same problem. There was tape residue on the rear tension roller that I cleaned with mineral spirits. Has anyone tried to crown the tracking roller with tape to see whether this will cure the tracking issue? My 6 x 48 Delta belt sander idler drum is crowned to assist in belt tracking and works.

I also have problems with the pressure roller bars not turning freely and hanging up in contact with the sander drum. I have blown out the saw dust and sprayed WD40 on the roller bars bronze bearings. The roller bars no longer hang up but the roller bars, particularly the rear one, do not turn freely. Should they free wheel?

The design of the sander does not easily allow for the removal of the pressure bars to clean and lubricate the bearings or to replace the roller bars. The bolts holding the left end bearing of the sander also hold the brackets for the pressure rollers.

I would appreciate hearing from Perfomax/Jet drum sander owners has to how they solved the above issues and what they do for monthly maintenance to keep the sander in alignment.

Roger in Texas

When I got my Jet 10-20 I screwed up the platen belt right off the bat. I got a new one and it took me a long time until I got it to track like it should. I just let the platen motor run at high speed and just kept at it.

Even after I got it to track like I thought it should it would still walk to the inside. I just started watching it and when it started to walk to the inside I would tighten up the back a little more, I mean a little more. After doing this for awhile it now is at the point it holds and does not move. It is not centered on the roller, it is tracking to the back more then the front but is staying put.

Now on the feed rollers my will turn really easy but when you try and spin then they will not keep spinning but they still roll easy.

On my 10-20 there are springs that hold the rollers down and if those springs are bad then I could see how it could catch on the drum.

P9015319.jpg