Thread: How is SASSAFRAS to turn?

How is SASSAFRAS to turn?

I have access to a SASSAFRAS tree that has blown down. How does it turn and what kind of grain does it have?

Thanks for the info,
    Dale

Very pretty wood, I did some pens out of it a while back.
    Turned nicely and smelled good to.
    Dan

Turns wells, smells great. The frangrance can be a bit much for some. The sap from fresh wood if it remains on my skin for an extended period will cause an ivy type rash.

The wood is moderately hard. Heavy sanding can cause scalloping from the early wood/late wood hardness difference. The wood is a light tan to medium brown, with a ring pourous grain.

I turn it all the time and love it.

5. Dale, I have turned about 3 pieces........I still have a couple of pieces in my shop. It has grain that reminds me a little of American elm.......the light and dark streaks.......pretty but not as pronounced as Chinese elm. My pieces of sassafras came from Mike Cruz........one of the blanks has now cracked, but it was fairly green wood, and it has been inside my shop the whole time since I got it last year.

It turns great and does have a pungent, but pleasing aroma.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-31-2013 at 1:32 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Think of root beer flavored pine!

023.JPG Dale, the bowl on my Vega is roughly 22" of sassafras.I really like it,Dale M. is right about the smell I love it but the wife doesn't .
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Turning wet, it seems hard. When drying It doesn't change shape nearly as much as cherry. Haven't had a piece crack yet. Once dry, it just takes a gentle touch to shape the bowl. Go easy on the sanding; a little goes a long way.

Great wood to turn wet or dry. Makes the shop smell good. Don't get heavy hand when sanding.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Dale