Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Delta Combination Disc - Belt Sander Purchase Decision

Exclamation HELP! Delta Combination Disc - Belt Sander Purchase Decision

I've got my eyes on a delta combo sander - 6" belt, 12" disc. Problems are: no tags, no belt table, and 3/4hp motor. There's also significant rust (enough that the handle for the table tilt is jammed) and some damage to the side belt cover. I got the guy to go down to $250 but I'm still not sure it's a worthy investment. I will use this thing heavily, so it really matters.

I'm most concerned with: having trouble identifying the model, not sure that I can get the table for the belt portion of the machine, and lastly, that the damage may be a warning sign of major trauma.

Other than all the above the machine runs very smooth! It may just need a part or two and some elbow grease, but I'm just not too confident deciding.

PLEASE: any help would be greatly appreciated!

Having trouble with the uploads so pics can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/pTqhC#0a
    When a dog runs at you, whistle for him. - Thoreau

Correction! After too much time perusing the Delta catalogues I've discovered this is actually a Model 30 Powermatic!
    When a dog runs at you, whistle for him. - Thoreau

Looks like a lot of work to get that back in shape....Good for scrap in my eyes....

Pass. You can get one in good shape for $400 to $600. There is no way you could invest the amount of money and time in that one to get it into the same shape for that amount of capital.

Purchase an edge sander, you will be much more satisfied.

I'd also pass for the price quoted. However, if you can get it much cheaper it might be worth parting it out. I've just finished the restoration of the same sander and can tell you that the table showing on the disc side alone is worth about $100. The way the machine was designed that table can be moved over to the belt side and bolted on there. I'm no expert but it also seems the motor is not original to the machine.
    Wood'N'Scout

Looks like boat ankor to me.

I would pass also. As Keith said, buy an edge sander.

Did you add the zero by accident? I'm not a huge fan of those type of sanders anyway, but that's barely worth $25 for scrap value IMHO!

What are you using now for this heavy sanding? There are different sanders that work well for different things, though as mentioned a good edge sander can do a LOT of work. Of course they're also pretty expensive compared to the combo sanders. Combo sanders aren't really the best at anything but are more of a good all around general purpose tool. I'm not the biggest fan of cheap tools but if you need something for short money that's ready to work I'd have to mention Grizzly I had one of their combo sanders many years ago and it was far from a great tool, not to mention it needed a bit of work to get running correctly. But it got the job done for a little while at least for short money

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Purchase an edge sander, you will be much more satisfied.
    +1
    true dat

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    +1
    true dat
    +2 had a good old Rockwell version but sold it as I really didn't use it. An edge sander is MUCH more useful.

I got rid of my belt / disc sander quite a few years ago, replaced it with an edge sander. An edge sander and a spindle sander is the perfect team IMO.. I wouldn't pay $250 for that machine..

I just purchased and rehabbed a PM 30 combination sander last month. I paid $45 for it. It came with everything to function except wiring and cord. It lacked a dust port, motor cover, and the belt cover. I use it and it is a solid machine.
    Sal.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I gave him a significantly lower offer after considering the cost of not only getting this this useable, let alone working really well, and the potential for problems under that rust, but also getting it to look good. He apparently thinks it's worth more than I'm willing to spend now.

I think you made a good decision to pass on it. Everything else aside, it would be woefully under powered with only ¾ hp IMO. I can slow down my 1½ hp Delta if I push a big piece too hard.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney