Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've got a workbench!!!!

Erin!!! You scared me for a sec there...

I thought you chopped off your dog-leg base configuration!!! I assume that you've got your current vise (as shown) mounted on the backside of the bench with the dog-leg support structure against the wall...just out of the right side of the photo?!? Please tell me I'm right!!!

I seem to recall that this is a temporary top with a solid top to follow...INCLUDING THE SHOULDER VISE?!? and that this current vise will be used elsewhere?

I'm confused...not at all a difficult state of mind for me...
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Bois
    Erin!!! You scared me for a sec there...

I thought you chopped off your dog-leg base configuration!!! I assume that you've got your current vise (as shown) mounted on the backside of the bench with the dog-leg support structure against the wall...just out of the right side of the photo?!? Please tell me I'm right!!!

I seem to recall that this is a temporary top with a solid top to follow...INCLUDING THE SHOULDER VISE?!? and that this current vise will be used elsewhere?

I'm confused...not at all a difficult state of mind for me...
    You're absolutely right on all counts.

Since I cut the top to extend all the way across the dogleg, it meant that one corner was unsupported. I thought it would be better to have that unsupported corner in the back where it would be subject to less stress, so I turned the base around backwards. Sorry if I caused you a fright.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the current vise once I get the hardwood top built; I won't have a use for it on the bench then, but perhaps I can find another spot in the shop for it. It's almost too purty not to use.

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sproul
    looks good.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sproul
    Put some dog holes in the front apron........they you can support longer boards for edge jointing.
    That sounds like a neat idea - I may just do that. I don't recall that I've come across that idea before, but I think I like it better than having a bench slave to trip over when it's not in use.

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    Erin---Kudos on the bench, love the vise treatment. Is that a Millers Falls smoother? I can only hope my own bench will turn out so well.

Dan
    That's my MF #8 (the baby of the bunch). I've also got a pair of #9s, a #10, #14, #18 and #22. I've been working on the #10 and #18 this weekend, just got the 18 up and running this morning. Now I'm itching to mill up some wood just to have an excuse to use it!

Erin

Thanks for posting those pictures of your bench. We had chatted briefly about your bench during the Handtool Chat on a Tuesday. It does look like a place to work!

Tom

Hi Erin-san, your bench looks good and comfortable to work with.
    Workbench is mother of all. Good project is made on good bench.
    and the plane ? is also attactive for Japanese woodworker.
    It's coincidence, few weeks ago, I made my work bench too .

Even your "temporary'' top looks that solid and well-made, I am wondering what i have to expect for your final hardwood top. May I ask you to take as much photos as possible when you build your final top so that I have something to follow............ well to copy if you don't mind

By the way while I am looking for my vises, I find some wonderful stuff I would to share here. http://www.fine-tools.com/spindel.htm
    The price seems very reasonable even though you have to pay the shipping fee to your country.
    They even have a table for the international shiping charge here
    http://www.fine-tools.com/versand.htm#zieldrechner
    Remember you don't need to pay the 16% German VAT which is included in their catalog price.

Of course , I am in no way affliated to the company