Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hans Wegner "The Chair"

Hans Wegner and Derek Cohen inspired "The Chair" ready for glue up...

Derek, Thanks for your website and posts on Hans Wegner's "the chair". I too have been inspired to build it and have greatly benefited from your posts and measurements given by others. This is my prototype first Wegner/Cohen inspired chair. Not perfect but I've captured the knowledge to make another. The next one will have slightly different angles on the legs. Anyway I hope you see this and can respond. I document my work on instagram @scotty_woodworker. I've built other chairs and rockers, some my own design and a lot of Maloof style.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful craftsmanship Scott. You should start a new thread.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Scott, I agree with Bruce that your chair deserves a thread of its own.

This particular thread was replaced with a build thread, from start to finish. I will post my finished chair here as the way this thread ended suggests that the chair was not completed.

It needs to be noted that the aim - and challenge - of my build was to create an exact replica of The Chair. I was fortunate to later find and purchase one of Hans Wegner's original chairs, and this gave me dimensions. Even so, it was a difficult process to translate measurements on compound angles and compound parts into exact copies. The end result was very satisfying.

I chose to weave the seat in Danish Cord, rather than make a padded one. I love the look of this, preferring it to the padded version I have ...

The Chair was submitted in 2016 to Pop Wood magazine for their annual furniture competition. This was the result ....

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...dTheChair.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-10-2021 at 3:00 AM.