Thread: Couple of bowls

Couple of bowls

I have done a bit of turning for other project, but only in the last 3-4 months have I really started getting green wood and started roughing out and drying a good number of bowls. I think prior to these, I've finished maybe 10 bowls, so I still have a lot to learn on the finishing process and form. These are also my first natural edge bowls I've done. Finish is a shellac, then spray on em6000 on the osage and poplar(?), the walnut is General finishes wood turners finish, and the sycamore is just wax.

walnut

spalted poplar:

osage orange:

sycamore:

Osage:

Plus, I found a house this morning that had a large osage tree blown down, so spent a few hours with a chainsaw getting about 10 good sized blanks from it. Gotta love free wood.

On a side note, while I DNA soak then wrap most of my bowls for drying, it seems the 10% rule just does not give me enough meat on some bowls to turn them true once they dry. A lot of my bowls have a deeper form with higher/more vertical walls, so maybe that explains some of it, whereas shallower bowls would not deform as significantly.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I like them all. Great find on the wood.

All of my sycamore has been from firewood several years old, so it is nice to see what a nice clean piece looks like.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

All are well done. I don't see any issues with your finishing process. Keep up the good work!

Really nice bowls and nice wood find. Finishing looks good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.