Thread: NE Oak Bowl

NE Oak Bowl

A while back a large old oak across the road from my brother's house came down. The entire inside was rotted out, with only about a 4" shell around the base. He gave me a piece to see what I could do with it. I am going up to NC this week and taking the bowl to him and just got a new photo tent and backdrop so I took some pictures.

The bowl is 3 1/2" tall and 7 1/4" wide. Finish is just Mahoneys Walnut oil.
    NE_Oak_Bowl.jpg

C&C welcome as always.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have a section of what I think was a chinquapin oak with a rotted core. This gives me some ideas. Excellent job. I like the foot on the bowl.

Really nice Thom. Not a foot guy but this one looks good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice. How did you dry the oak? I've been experimenting several ways with some oak I have, but it is a warp and crack prone wood. The best method I've come up with is to turn to about 20%, soak in DNA for a day, then anchorseal the end grain, then wrap in a bag with a bunch of sawdust shavings, then come back in about 2-3 months before I open it. The cracking will be minimal it seems, but the warping is still pretty impressive.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Beautiful piece! I love the oak and hope to make something like this once my skills are up to it. I am terrible at having the patience to let the wood come to the tool, so that piece would be in 'pieces' for me!

Thanks guys, I go both ways on footed bowls, but I thought this one needed the 'lift'. Alex, this was already dry, so no problemss. On other oak I have turned, I turn it thin and let it move. I store it in a drawer with no air movement, maybe some shavings, maybe not, and do not remove it to finish until it really feels dry. Nothing scientific like weighing it though that would be better. No cracks, but interecting movement on the few other bowls (+ one vase) that I have turned with oak. I have some green oak waiting for me to get back from this trip, including a crotch, so that will be an experience.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).