Thread: Paint Gun Advice Needed

Paint Gun Advice Needed

I could use some advice regarding paint spray guns. I have a small project that I’ve been having difficulty getting a decent smooth finish with latex black enamel. I think I’m on my forth coat, with pre-sanding between each coat to remove unwanted brush strokes, etc. Per a suggestion from a fellow SMC member, I tried a product call Flotrol and this was major improvement in application and finish for most of the individual items related to this project where full brush strokes could be used.

I’m on the fence as to breaking my rule of “No Spray Painting In My Workshop”, but I need to finish this project. Sherwin Williams doesn’t carry the same paint as a spray and I need all the individual pieces to match, so I though I’d page through my recent Harbor Freight’s catalog and see what a cheap compressor spray gun would cost. I have a small Sears compressor.

With prices ranging from $9.99 to $59.99 and terms like Adjustable Mini, Detail, HVLP, Gravity Feed, Stainless Steel Needle, Aluminum Paint Cups, Brass Nozzles, etc. and the fact that I’ll be using this latex enamel, I could use some advice from members that use spray guns.

Is this the usual case of “you get what you pay for” or can I expect to get a least a couple of uses with respectable results ? The piece I need to finish is only about 18” x 18”.

I’m still somewhat undecided on whether I’m going to go this spray gun route, but I’m getting frustrated and need to get this project finished.

Tom

Blog Entries
    the most commonly recommended... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43430 ....jack

for that small of an area and if your not going to be doing much of it, I'd go with an air brush setup. Not as much over spray to worry about. Uses less paint and easier to clean up.

Juts my opinion.

If you are only going to use it once maybe a power spray like this will work. http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/cata...asp?ictNbr=504

An 18" x 18"....

Thin your latex with Flotrol and water. Use a regular siphon cup gun at about 30psi. You can buy one anywhere for about fifty bucks. It will take about three coats because of the thinning. Clean the gun and use it for lacquer and shellac.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain