Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My dog attacked by a Pit Bull ... second time in a year

My dog attacked by a Pit Bull ... second time in a year

First attack I posted about it here last year.
    Happened at a tractor show.
    Got some replies, Pit Bulls are dangerous.
    Others in denial about that, dogs are so sweet.
    Second attack is this past Saturday
    My problem now is that this dog is owned by my neighbors son, recently broke up w/GirlFriend, moved back in with Mom and Dad, etc.
    Was walking onto my neighbors yard holding my dog by the collar, bringing over a bag of sweet corn from the DWs garden.
    Real neighborly.
    Knew the son had recently moved in with a Pit butt.
    Never seen the dog.
    "Oh, that dog's a total Mush, wouldn't hurt a fly"
    As I walked past the side of the house, didn't see the dog, hear a sound (barking growl, etc), until screaming from my dog.
    The pit bull was somewhere in the corner, had jumped onto my dog, biting, locked down on my dog's hind leg.
    I can't pull them apart. The son finally comes out of the house, gets his dog off.
    My dog has bite marks/lacerations all over his thigh, groin. His dog was not touched, not bitten once.
    24 hours goes by, neighbor never calls, give me any info on Rabies shots etc.
    So I drive over the next day, he says "My son's dog has all his shots, but won't be any problem. Dogs will be dogs"
    Now my dog will barely go outside, afraid the Pit Bull next door is loose and will attack him again.
    I don't get it.
    From my experience with pit bulls, they are NOT dogs, they are alligators with fur.
    How come they are still legal anywhere in the U.S. (they are illegal in many countries in Europe + banned in all of Australia)
    When I was at WalMart yesterday, bought an aluminum baseball bat.
    If my neighbors "total mush" ever comes on my property, he's gonna get the grand slam swing on the skull
    2012 dog bite fatalities (in the U.S.)

38 total, 23 deaths by "pitties" (all of them total "mushes" before they killed somebody)

Grew up with Pit's, and they were great dogs then. We abused the living day lights out of those dogs and they never bit one kid. But,,,,,,, they were hell on other dogs and cats.
    Bottom line is that they are on the hook for your Vet bills, which I would definitely let them know are coming, and I would definitely notify animal control that the Pit is loose and un restrained. I'm fairly certain NJ has some strict ordnance requirements on the keeping of Pit's.
    I would also let them know in no uncertain terms that you will defend your dog to the detriment of theirs.
    I'm not a fan of the bat though, too easy to connect with your dog by accident. Pepper spray, and an ASP would be my choice.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Did you call the police and animal control over this? What would have happened if the dog decided to attack you instead of your dog? Was it on a leash or roaming free?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I had a quite large black lab years back & he defended himself against the neighbor hood pit bull & beat the s*** out of him. I had to pay all the vet bills & it didn't matter that the pit bull attacked my dog...The pit bull loved people but not other dogs...I cant stand the dogs...

Don't waste time on this.

Call animal control now.
    Call every time the dog is out, unleashed and build the case for removal.

It sounds to me like you'll either lose your neighbors as friends if you act, your dog if you don't.
    (That "dogs will be dogs" is a cop out, and indicates inattention on the part of the owner who likely has no command over his dog.)

One attack in your own yard is too many.

Animal control. They're not in position to say "dogs will be dogs" when they're the offender.

Whose property were you on with your dog, were you on a sidewalk/public property or were you on theirs? That would make a great deal of difference here, and if on their land after knowing there was a new PB, I'm curious why walk the dog with you?

I'd still call animal control either way. The neighbors are probably dreaming up ways to get nasty if you do, but I'd do it, anyway.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 08-27-2013 at 9:59 AM.

The biggest problem with the majority of dog owners is the think dogs speak english,have never taken a minimal obedience course,don't have the slightest idea how to deal with animal/dog behavior. Caesar has made a fortune of the reoccurring theme of "It ain't the dog it's the owner" and he is right. Time for dog owners to wake up,it isn't the SPCA's or the cop's job to take care of your dog,that's your responsibility!

Sorry to hear the predicament of your dog. When my dog was attacked or got into fights, the best way to separate fighting dogs is a water hose if there is any nearby. Or any water poured on them. Worked like a charm for me.
    Sal.

I think that people generally get these dogs due to feelings of inadequacy about themselves.

Depending on the State, a Dog Warden in that situation would have the legal right to put that dog down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Did you call the police and animal control over this? What would have happened if the dog decided to attack you instead of your dog? Was it on a leash or roaming free?
    I totally agree. Some communities have totally banned pit bulls because unless they are extremely well trained they are overly protective and tend to attack, particularly other dogs near their turf. Call animal control and present your neighbors son with the vet bill as he is liable for the damage done by his dog.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In an extreme case, where there's an imminent threat or repeat offenses - perhaps.

That's not likely to happen on the first call, but the first visit from animal control
    will put the dog owner on notice. That only happens if someone calls.

I'm not sure that would be effective against the Am Staff or variants known as Pit Bulls.

They were bread to be tenacious, and endure tremendous hurts in fighting situations.
    Most of them are so large as to be unmanageable, when they're aggressive.

It's the rare owner that can get a handle on a dog that has already shown aggression toward other dogs.

My concern is that if the neighbor of the OP doesn't revert to the living arrangement prior to the attack you're
    likely to hear about one or two dead dogs. It's clearly preventable, but that's not the national trend,
    not where Bullies are concerned.

My guess is that the Son moved in with Mom because he couldn't find a place that would accept his dog.
    That's a SWAG, but insurance rates for rentals are based on the tenants and their pets.

While I'm sorry to hear your dog was injured, I have to agree with David. Reading your post above, you knew the neighbors son had moved in with a dog. You chose to bring your dog on to their property while holding it's collar. It doesn't matter if your dog is social or not, you don't know if their dog is.

There are so many factors involved that people simply do not understand. It is not just a "pit" issue. Many people just laugh off or ignore a "little" or "toy" dog that is acting aggressive or bites because they are easier to disengage from the bite. All dogs are capable of biting and being aggressive for what we consider "no reason" at all, but for those who study animal psychology and behavior and what is known as the bite threshold, there is always a reason. It's us humans that can't see what that reason was. The reason dog X bit dog Y could be because it was taken away from siblings at a too young age and never learned doggy-social skills as a pup; the owner was fearful and the dog thought it was protecting it's human; or that it had been attacked last week and is now on the offensive towards any dog it sees. It takes a lot more then a 30-minute training session with a dog to even scratch the surface and not everything that so-called "expert" on TV says and does to boost his ratings is the solution.

I'm not saying this to point fingers at who is wrong and who is right and who is liable or debate eliminating pits. The fact is, everyone needs to open their eyes and not focus on the wrong thing. There are many factors involved in what happened. For example, by holding your dog's collar, you may have been putting your dog in a physical position which made it look aggressive towards the neighbor's dog. (Accept it. We mere humans only guess at the emotion the dog is feeling when we see it in various positions. We need to factor ear position, eyes, mouth, hair, tail position, etc.)

The fact is, it is up to the human to be responsible for their pet. Whether it is protect them from a potential harmful situation or to prevent them from doing harm to others. I will not bring my dog on to someone else's property without 1) letting them know I am bringing my dog, 2) knowing if their dog is social or not. If their dog is aggressive or the owner is clueless, there is no way my dog will set foot on their premise.

While this doesn't relate to dog bites, I think every dog owner should read the entire article on dog aggression/inappropriate behavior called "He Just Wants to Say Hi" at www[dot]suzanneclothier[dot]com/the-articles/he-just-wants-say-hi and learn a thing or two.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Pit bulls are the sweetest dogs ever... until they're not!