Thread: Oil over GF milk paint?

Oil over GF milk paint?

Hi, all -

A while back, I asked about filling scratches/dents before milk painting. I didn't have the success I wanted to see when I tried it with a sample board, so I switched to GF's "milk paint" (yes, I know it's latex) in order to get better coverage. I'm done painting, but I'm not really happy with the final finish - it's not the sheen, which I like, it's the fact it marks up easily when touched with something. I don't want to topcoat with poly, and I was thinking about basically just rubbing it down with oil like I was planning with the no-quotation-marks-needed milk paint. Is this insane?

The project is my tool chest. I was hoping not to mention that until I could post pics of the finished project, but I feel it's important to mention it because I want people to understand that I'm expecting it getting dinged up/etc. as it is used and therefore I'm not looking for a really hard, durable top coat. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

daniel

P.S. Yes, I'm going to try it on a sample board, but I'm fishing for others' thoughts/experiences here so I don't have to watch the sample board for months to see how it holds up.
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

It's not insane, but it won't really do much to protect the surface. There are other non-yellowing topcoats that might be more appropriate. Consider shellac or Deft lacquer.

Prashun, thanks for the thought. After 7 coats, I was hoping to be done with a brush, but I can do a coat of shellac, I think. I have some dewaxed blonde (actually, I think it's sanding sealer, but is there a difference, really?) that I should use up before moving, anyway. I'll give it a go on a sample board, and see how it comes out.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

For good information on top coats for milk paint, watch the videos, near the end of the chair making series, on Curtis Buchanan's web site. I have used his methods on a couple of chairs, and it really works well.
    Regards,
    Dick

Thanks, Dick. Since I wound up using an ersatz milk paint (i.e. really it's latex, but it looks kinda like milk paint when it's dried), I'm trying to find info about topcoating latex. Good reference, though, thanks - I still have my milk paint that I originally intended to use, I'll watch the videos for when I use it up!

daniel