Thread: ron brown pdf?

ron brown pdf?

hi there, ive been woodworking for over a decade, but have recently bought a lathe and became active in a turning club. ive turned a couple bowls, and a few spindle items. a friend told me to look at a webpage he saw from ron brown that has a business plan to use a lathe to earn extra income. but you send in your email and request the download, you cant just get it automatically. is this a scam? has anyone tried it or heard of it? id be interested, but am reluctant. any info would be greatly appreciated.
    eric mall

Hi Eric,

Although I do not know about this PDF, this is a great place for advice like "Don't try to make a living at it" and "Here's what sells best at craft fairs".

Good luck.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Don't know a thing about the business plan but some time ago I got a chatter tool, and a DVD followed about a year later with a Longworth chuck from Ron Brown and have been pleased with all of it, Have also met him at the recent AAW Symposium and some other regional symposiums and he seems like a first class guy who genuinely likes to help other woodturners.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Hey Eric, Is this what you're talking about? If so, let us know what you think of it.
    http://www.coolhammers.com/earn_$50_hr_with_lathe.htm

I know Ron Brown. He is the founder of Gwinnett Woodworkers Association (which has about 170 free YouTube Videos on Woodworking including turning). It is not a scam. Ron makes his living with woodworking and turning with a number of products sold through Peachtree Woodworking.
    God is great and life is good!

+1 on Mike Peace's comments. Ron spent many years on the road doing demo's at woodworking shows, has published 10 or so DVDs on projects, has recently been marketing has own branded accessories through Peachtree and is a very personable and engaging when doing his demos. I believe he is accepting a board position with AAW this year.

Usually after his demos he talks about his marketing materials for 5 minutes or so and is very open about wanting to help others in getting started. While I have not personally viewed the material, the times I have met him, I was impressed.

I just received the PDF and had some good interchange with Ron. He reminds me very much of my dad - a drum teacher who loved to write and distribute teaching materials.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have also met Ron and have a couple of his DVD's. He is legit and a good guy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

9. Friends:
    Thanks for all of your kind remarks. If you've ever gotten to know, or had someone close to you, who is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a single parent, you know how hard it is to make ends meet financially. I offer this "Business Plan" as a way that they can stay home with the kids and still earn extra income. I never intended for this to be a quit your job and do this full time situation. Although some have - like yours truly. My friend, Ruth Niles, has given me permission to include many excellent marketing tips from her web site.

What about our retired folks on a fixed income? Most of them I know could use an additional source of cash flow. The core is simple: find stuff you can make easily and quickly, but is still quality. This approach applies to any type of handmade craft item, not just stuff turned on a wood lathe. Each item should sell for around $1 per minute that it takes to make it. Example: Spinning tops. Takes me 6 minutes to make ones that sell for $5 to $7 each. Acorn boxes take 12-15 minutes and sell for $10 to $20 each.
    The "Plan" lays out how to sell your items, where to sell your items, I even include scripts to use when you call on a business. There is a huge sample spread sheet included that I use when preparing for craft shows.

Think of this information like you would be asking a favorite uncle for advice. An uncle who has personally done everything in the plan for the past 40+ years! So why would I offer it for free? You can't go through life always taking, always keeping the good stuff for yourself. Sometimes you just have to give back, pay it forward with no thought of a return, at least not in this life. I invite anyone who has received the plan to respond. Is it magic? No. Does it require work on your part. Yes. Does it make sense? Yes. Did you start receiving unwanted emails from me after you got the plan? No.

Why isn't it on auto download? I'm a pretty good woodworker, but not that great a webmaster. Besides, I like to respond to folks personally and often send other files when I hear their stories. If I used an autoresponder, there wouldn't be an opportunity for me to actually hear from you. And yes occasionally someone buys one of my DVD's. They were probably going to buy it anyway. As you may know, I travel with The Woodworking Shows Circuit and that allows me to see around 100,000 people every year. Many of you, I get to talk with personally and answer your specific questions and help you solve a turning problem after my stage demos are done. I always try to make time for that. I love what I do and most people say it shows. The reason I post so very many photos on my web site is to inspire others. None of my stuff is overly fancy, but Sweet Janice loves it and your wife, significant other will too. There really is no ulterior motive here. Sometimes free means free.

The plan has helped many thousands of people and not one of them paid me a dime. I'm good with that. And I intend to keep giving it away for free as long a folks want it.
    Your friend,
    Ron Brown

Ron
    That's a pretty amazing thing you're doing and I thank you for your generosity. I'm semi-retired and just started. Your offering answers one of the burning questions I've had. Again, thanks.
    Greg Jones
    Vicksburg, MS

thank you all very much for your replies. I think I may have unintentionally offended a couple of people. first I apologize to ron brown, sir I have watched quite a few of your youtube videos, and own one of your dvds. I never meant it to sound like you are scamming. with the internet the way it is, I was worried someone might be using a popular name of a trusted individual as a cover for a phishing website. I figured this was the place to ask about it, and I got my answer! thanks again to all. and thanks for the advice to not make a living at this.. I love my job, just looking for things for my church to sell at their flea market.
    eric mall

To paraphrase from a 1960's musical: You're a good man, Ron Brown!" Thanks for posting.

David

thanks again all, and I have received the packet of great information from ron brown. this is some great information. I was really quite happy with how he laid out the methods he employs. go for it, you wont be disappointed.
    eric mall