Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Base For MM16?

Mobile Base For MM16?

I have an MM16 that has it's mobile setup, with two rear outset wheels and a front lifting wheeled lever. It works OK, but despite the rear wheels being set wider that the saw base itself, with only one front wheel, it is a bit tippy when I move the saw from little garage to shop garage, for actual use.
    I have a Jet Heavy Duty mobile base that I use under my 800lb Jet drill press and I like it very much. The base is rated for 1200lbs, so no worry there. Problem is, I'm wondering if that base would be tippy as well, being that it would fit snugly to the base of the saw body, which is kinda narrow.
    I'm wondering if anyone has used this base for their band saw and what their experience has been? I do have to move the saw over garage floor seams in order to use the saw, so it is moved often.

Derek, many of my owners use threaded casters from Zambus or Great Lakes. With four casters in play, the machine tends to be (in my experience) a lot more stable to push around, since you are not tipping it back to get it moving. The thread pitch is M12x1.75, by the way. Hope this helps.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I'm in alignment with Erik's suggestion having recently installed casters from Great Lakes on a Laguna HD16. When cranked up on the wheels it rolls freely with stability and when dropped down on to the rubber machine mounts it sits firmly grounded. It is an upgrade I should have done years earlier.

Erik and Scott, Please give me more info on these threaded castors. Great Lakes what? Do the castors just bolt up into the existing holes in the base?

Derek, I have firsthand experience with Zambus AC-300's. Obviously, you would get the stud type in M12x1.75 pitch....

http://www.zambus.com/product/ac300.php

Best,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I have the great lakes casters on my MM20 and they work very well. They are the same style as the Zambus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rodoracio View Post
    I have the great lakes casters on my MM20 and they work very well. They are the same style as the Zambus.
    Tony, specifically, which Great Lakes castors do you have? How high does it raise the base? Do they use the same size screws as the stock leveling studs?

Derek, I used the Footmaster GD-60S from Great Lakes. They have a load rating of 550 lbs and raise the base 3". The threads the manufacturer tapped in my Laguna were fouled, so I ended up drilling them out and running the bolt through the base from the top and directly into the caster.

3" is going to cut it really, really close for headroom. The saw sits under an overhanging, built in shelf. I may be 1/4" shy of the 3"...bummer...I'll have to do some measuring.

Bummer...I only have about 2" of height to play with. Those casters will raise the saw too much to fit under the overhang.

Derek, I made a mobile base that bolts to the side of the saw base using 4 holes. The holes were formerly used for the factory mobility kit. The height gain with the Great Lakes casters is only 1 inch. Everything is bolted together with no welding. I ordered the metal tubing on-line cut to length. Just had to drill some holes and paint the tubing. I have not seen an MM16 to know for sure whether this style base would work for you.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    Derek, I made a mobile base that bolts to the side of the saw base using 4 holes. The holes were formerly used for the factory mobility kit. The height gain with the Great Lakes casters is only 1 inch. Everything is bolted together with no welding. I ordered the metal tubing on-line cut to length. Just had to drill some holes and paint the tubing. I have not seen an MM16 to know for sure whether this style base would work for you.

David

David, that's exactly what I need to do to mine. That will widen the base and lower the saw. Exactly which Great Lakes Castors are those? The rear stock wheels mount on an axle that runs thru the base, like yours, however the front does not, so I'll have to think of a way to mount the frame in front. Thanks for the great tip.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Derek, you may have already have seen this: I've gone Mobile!
    It works well for me and I don’t find it tippy at all. My only regret is having the foot lever in the back, I should’ve put it under the table for a smaller footprint.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Derek, you may have already have seen this: I've gone Mobile!
    It works well for me and I don’t find it tippy at all. My only regret is having the foot lever in the back, I should’ve put it under the table for a smaller footprint.
    Bruce, very nice solution. I'll have to think about that one. Is that an MM16 that sits on the base?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Yes, 2004 vintage.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney