Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top Load HE Washing Machine - Agitator vs No Agitator

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brown View Post
    Don, while I agree with your statement we had other issues with other GE products (our refrigerator) that soiled my opinion of the brand. I was really hoping someone here would say, "I bought Brand XYZ HE washing machine x years ago and love it; never had a problem with it." Honestly, I would take that recommendation as well as I would any other Consumer Report recommendation.[snip]
    Know just how you feel, Charles! Unfortunately, I've concluded that so much of what we must base our consumer buying decisions on is anecdotal that it's pretty much luck of the draw with most products. GE makes great jet engines, but I've come to steer clear of their consumer products division when I can, and your experience with your GE fridge fits that experience. Yet I have a 40 y/o GE refrigerator that we bought used 27 years ago for $75 humming away in the basement storage room. It has never missed a beat, not even needed a light bulb! One of the best consumer investments ever.

Even with a good review from Consumer Reports, it can be serendipity. I can think of several "Best Buys" from CR over the years that turned out to be total lemons for me, including a 1971 Opel station wagon when production was still in Germany. Anymore when I'm researching a product, I tend to study the specs, then read as many online reviews as I can and hope for the best. Not much scientific to crowd sourcing, I suppose, but at least I can feel that I did my due diligence!

David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    I've come to steer clear of {GE's} consumer products division when I can, and your experience with your GE fridge fits that experience
    Same here... I've watched a dishwasher (or two), a refrigerator, and several smaller appliances die an early death. I swore there would never be another GE appliance in any home I ever owned.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5