Thread: Any end grain box turning going on?

Any end grain box turning going on?

I would love to see pictures and step by step pictures of how you turn your boxes.

On a side note, I have a Jet mini. Looking for a much larger lathe. Have my eyes on a Oneway 2436 or Stubby 750 or 1000. Now looking for best price. If you see a good price let me know. Opinions welcomed as well.

Ed, I love to turn end grain boxes. I will try to take some pictures the next time I do so. But I follow step by step the procedure outlined in Richard Raffan's book "Turning Boxes with Richard Raffan". Not only does he show pictorially the various steps and operations but he also describes in words how and why he does what he does. I have been following his procedure since I began turning boxes and have been very pleased.

That said, I am no expert....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Ed -- If you're a member of AAW, the current Spring 2005 issue has an article by Alan Lacer on how to get started turing end grain boxes. If you're not a member, you should be able to find this issue at a Woodcraft store. I took a class from Alan on this subject and found the techniques and basic information he shared on making lidded boxes to be very valuable.

In addition to the AAW publication that Charles mentions, the summer 2005 issue of Woodturning Design magazine also has a wonderful article by the "master", Pam Reilly, on turning her wonderful end-grain boxes on page 36.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...