Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best sellers besides bowls?

Best sellers besides bowls?

I would appreciate if those of you who sell would share with me what your best sellers besides bowls (and pens which I don't see myself doing) are.
    ETA - .....I've read a lot of the threads in archives but would like to hear more. Thanks.
    Last edited by Greg A Jones; 08-18-2013 at 7:23 PM.

Greg I've sold a variety of items in different venues but bowls continue to be the biggest seller. I've noticed colored bowls and hollow forms draw them to the display but if they buy anything it's usually a bowl. Seems the majority of the customers in this area can't relate to an item unless the function is apparent. Your market may be totally different.

Just experiment with a variety and see what trend develops. Good luck!

I have sold for 4 years at one-day shows and events. Mostly platters, plates and various bowls. The plates and platters sell okay, but bowls... or any hollowed out holding device.... sell the best. I nudge the viewers and buyers at the shows with a few signs suggesting "candy dish", "chip bowl", "fruit bowl", and such. The smaller pieces that could be "bowls for stuff" are a big hit. Small figured dishes, or bowls, for items on a ladies dresser, or near the back door for keys, coins etc. are popular. I make mostly functional items, but the visitors do need to be reminded in a subtle way about potential uses for the wooden items. I have sold 200-250 items per year the past 2 years, but I have not had as much time this season, so I may only reach 150-175 items this year. I am constantly amazed, and sometimes baffled, by the turnings some of the Creekers can produce, but I have never been able to harness the patience, technique and imagination to do the same...... maybe some day

I sell a lot of peppermills. Bottle stoppers, ice cream scoops, 4-in-1 screwdrivers and similar are good filler items. They can be priced low enough to attract the impulse buyer. Natural edge bowls are always good. Folks seem to like the shape and the rough texture of the edges. - John

By volume, my biggest sellers are mushrooms made from branch wood with the bark left on, probably because they are inexpensive and somewhat novel. Natural edge pieces sell well as does almost anything made from burl wood.

Toby, curious to what you charge for the branch mushrooms. I have a craft show in October that I might attend (first one ever), because it is close to my house and I could make a bunch of those up.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Bowls were probably 75% of my sales. All are warped. I also had some rolling pins, potato mashers, spurtles, and boxes, both friction fit and threaded. You just never know what will sell. Natural edge pieces never sold well for me, well, not the wild and crazy ones, and neither did hollow forms. Artistic pieces would just sit. I did one show that was more high end, and I would move a few furniture pieces, but still, it was utility bowls. Lots of small ones, like for knick knacks because they are in the impulse range.

robo hippy

Thanks to all. I def intend to get into bowls and platters but am just working on small items to improve my technique and tool work. Have standing order for cold cuts platters and matching plates from the wife's family in Germany - as well as poached egg holders, etc. They use LOTS of wooden kitchen stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Toby, curious to what you charge for the branch mushrooms. I have a craft show in October that I might attend (first one ever), because it is close to my house and I could make a bunch of those up.
    I sent an email to your website address.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    I have sold for 4 years at one-day shows and events. Mostly platters, plates and various bowls. The plates and platters sell okay, but bowls... or any hollowed out holding device.... sell the best. I nudge the viewers and buyers at the shows with a few signs suggesting "candy dish", "chip bowl", "fruit bowl", and such. The smaller pieces that could be "bowls for stuff" are a big hit. Small figured dishes, or bowls, for items on a ladies dresser, or near the back door for keys, coins etc. are popular. I make mostly functional items, but the visitors do need to be reminded in a subtle way about potential uses for the wooden items. I have sold 200-250 items per year the past 2 years, but I have not had as much time this season, so I may only reach 150-175 items this year. I am constantly amazed, and sometimes baffled, by the turnings some of the Creekers can produce, but I have never been able to harness the patience, technique and imagination to do the same...... maybe some day
    Not sure I have the fundamental artistic bent to produce some of what I've seen. However, I've always been a pretty good journeyman at whatever I've attempted. I'm confident I can learn to produce, in fairly short order, salable quality basic bowls and platters along with lots of the knick knack type things - ornaments, bottle stoppers & openers, honey dippers, rolling pins, etc. etc.

Greg. A few years back I started making wood Bangles to have at my booth. The original idea was if a friend came by and wanted to support me but didn't want to pay for one of my bowls of vessels, they might be able to buy a bangle. This has worked well, and the bangles have taken on a life of their own. I usually pay for the booth fees with the bangles alone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    Greg. A few years back I started making wood Bangles to have at my booth. The original idea was if a friend came by and wanted to support me but didn't want to pay for one of my bowls of vessels, they might be able to buy a bangle. This has worked well, and the bangles have taken on a life of their own. I usually pay for the booth fees with the bangles alone.
    Bangles as in wooden bracelets, or are you talking about something else?

So what is considered impulse item range? I am planning to start having a friend take some of my stuff to a few shows. They do them all of the time and I am unable to go so it is the only option I have. If a small utility bowl to put on the counter to throw keys in is considered an impulse purchase what is it's average selling price? I understand this will very from area to area. My fear is since I will be having a friend sell for me that by the time they get their cut these items will not be worth my time. If the impulse range is <5 bucks then I am screwed. 10 ~ 20 is my guess range for my area but I really do not know. and after my friends cut it really won't be worth it for me at that price either even though they do not take long to bang out and the wood is free (at least for me). I know I can give here a few larger items and make a little profit. Just wondering if the little stuff would be worth it for me. And before someone goes there I know I am not going to become the next millionaire doing this. I just make more things than I need and like turning and doing flat work. My friend goes to a few wine based shows a year and has asked for some of my stuff before. If I make some spare change and can buy a tool with the money I am happy. I am not feeding myself doing this thank God ....John

On the bowl side, yarn bowls are great sellers with either a hole or curved slot in them for the yarn to slide through while knitting or crochetting. Honey dippers are great quick sells and if you have a little pot for them that is even better, I was making them for a potter who made the little honey pots with a lid with a little slot for the dipper to stick out through and she bought them from me wholesale. Braclets/bangles again are good sellers with the heavy chunky styles being all the rage with the Hollywood crowd! Also I have had good luck with small urns or jars and small boxes that can hold a "RING" for that special day, or for a precious keepsake. A couple of years ago I made a bunch of bracelet helpers and they all sole in a couple days at the gallery I was in then. The last thing I have done well with is miniatures, but that takes the right person or a collector of lots of small fun things and doll house owners or those who make miniature diaramas like them.

A good selection of things and some fun little things like tops, mushrooms, wooden eggs and even nice round balls with good figure or color fit the "Impulse" selections!

Good luck and make lots of $$$$ or ask for payment in gold dust........just in case!

JEff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Definitely Christmas Ornaments. I don't make as many as I used to but I can always sell all I make. I sell them at the local community art center's gift shop during their big Christmas event. Now, do I make any money? No, I don't think I do.