Thread: sticky plunge

sticky plunge

Hello to the forum. I have lurked here for a long while and enjoy the threads very much, and have learned a lot from them. I am not computer smart, but after a few tentative posts, I think I can do this.
    A question I have is on Ridged 2901 router with its plunge base, it is sticky, sometimes it works ok then the next plunge it sticks it will not plunge smoothly. I have lubed the liner bearings and adjusted the spring tension, no joy.
    So I am wondering whats a good plunge router to buy? I have a PC 690 that i could get a plunge base for, if the opinion here is they work well, or should I just get another plunge router altogether. I cut mostly mortises with the plunge router. Festool may be out of my budget.

2. Dewalt 621
    Steven

I have two PC690's on PC6931 plunge bases. They've seen daily use in my shop for over five years now, and I haven't had a problem. I don't recall when/if I've ever lubed either one of them.

Getting the plunge base for the 690 may be the cheapest way to go.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Blog Entries
    I retired my 690 to the router table when I got my Dewalt 621.

The 621 is a soft start, variable speed, and comfortable router to use.

I have a couple of 890s and consider them OK compared to my Milwaukee 5616, which is solid and smooth.

If budget is a concern you can likely find a used plunge base for your PC690 for around $50; I did. It works very smoothly indeed, no issues at all. However, it takes a couple of minutes to get it in/out of the base to go back to the standard base. If that would be a frustration I'd look to get another dedicated plunge router.

John

So seems like a PC plunge base works well, I will order one today. If its not satisfactory I will return it and get a Dewalt 621 if there stout edge guide available for it. I use a mortise jig that needs an edge guided router. I like Milwaukee tools and would take Joe's advice and get one but quick search did not turn up any edge guide at all.
    Thanks to all for the info this site is great resource.

Bill

Since you already have the motor, getting the base is the better idea. I got the edge guide when I bought my 5616; both from Amazon, but a quick check failed to turn one up!

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    So seems like a PC plunge base works well, I will order one today. If its not satisfactory I will return it and get a Dewalt 621 if there stout edge guide available for it. I use a mortise jig that needs an edge guided router. I like Milwaukee tools and would take Joe's advice and get one but quick search did not turn up any edge guide at all.
    Thanks to all for the info this site is great resource.

Bill
    The edge guide for the PC 690 is really nice too. It has a micro-adjust feature.
    Gary