Thread: Top 3 important safety gears/gadgets

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Sawstop table saw
    Sawstop table saw
    Sawstop table saw
    Kickback
    Kickback
    Kickback

Just joking. The sawstop seems like great technology, but it does not solve completely the issue of safety.

Eyes, ears, feet

that is: Safety glasses, ear protection, good shoes/boots

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Kickback
    Kickback
    Kickback

Just joking. The sawstop seems like great technology, but it does not solve completely the issue of safety.
    Riving knife
    Riving knife
    Riving knife

It solves enough of the issues and it fits my budget (and space) better than a European slider.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Beat me to it Mike.

Rick P

Goggles / Face shield, dust collection, Hearing protection
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

I just made a rolling sheet goods/lumber rack using the Eurekazone track system and smart table (had it for a year, just unpacked and used it 1st time this week) and man, was I pleased.

I couldn't get my fingers near the blade. I clamped every time I cut, nothing moved. I broke down 4x8 sheets without trouble, and cut dadoes into stud grade 2x4s like it was an everyday thing. I used a jigsaw at one point, and was thinking to myself how random this tool's behavior could be. I was happy to go back to the circular saw (what a weird sentence that is!)

I checked the square of the blade to the saw a few times, and though I think it is off by a degree or two, it was ok for this project. I was making lots of 15degree cuts, no prob. I cut a few boards "to fit" and was pleased by the super-thin, veneer-like strips of ply or pine stripped off effortlessly.

Sorry for sounding like an infomercial, but I was pleased with how safe this system helped me become. I cannot say I have good table saw technique; this system helped an amateur stay safe.

I also quit after a beer at night.

I am going to go in a different direction.
    The top 3 safety items in my shop are:
    lights on two different circuits - if I blow a fuse I can still see
    Two fire extinguishers - not to put out the fire, but to get *me* out of the shop
    Safety glasses - No matter what Norm said, if they dont have side shields, the are NOT safety glasses

Thats my top three

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    1. Proper PPE (glasses, hearing, etc)
    2. Proper planning
    3. All factory guards in place (with a nod to Sawstop).

Not sure there really is a top three. You can always use as much safety as possible.

Clear head is a must at all time. When in operation glass, dust mask and hearing protection is a must. Having a fire extinguisher is a must.

What I would add is letting someone know you are in the shop. I like to have a few first aid supplies close by. And I always have a phone or some other method of communication on my person or within arms reach.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.