Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coatings For Concrete Floors and Walls

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    One last question. I've read in couple places about the colored flakes protruding slightly from the surface coming up over time if they don't have a separate clear top coat over them. Reading the info on the various sites it looks like you just toss the flakes on the final coat as its drying. Did you add any additional top coat to yours or did you find that the flakes settles in fine on there own. Seems like you just used the straight up kit as is and that the flakes settled in fine, correct?
    Chris, the flakes go on as the final color coat is drying. I don't think it will matter if you are clear coating it or not for the chips protruding. I have clear over my fleks, the clear protrudes where ever there are chips. It does add a little "texture" so in my book its for the better.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I did not put a clear coat on top. I just tossed the flakes, which happens to be the funnest part of the install. After a while you can get pretty creative on how you toss the flakes. They settle into the epoxy before it's set and are almost flush with the surface. I've not had any problems with protruding flakes or flakes coming up. When my floor is clean (a rare event), it still looks just like the photos which were taken 5 years ago. It's just as shiny. It's the perfect floor for my shop, and I'd definitely do it again if I had to move. I'm now in the process of adding some wall cabinets.

Thanks guys. Super thrilled to see that something so readily available, reasonably priced and *relatively* simple to install is getting such a good review. David, 5 years still looking that good on 20 year old concrete is about as good as a reference as one will get...I'm sold that this is the right stuff for my needs, time, ability, and budget. If it works for you I have no doubt it will work for me. I'm glad to hear you didn't need a clear coat. The rust-o-leum one is solvent based and the low VOC waterbased aspect of the Garage floor coating is a major selling point given that I will be applying it in a roughly 600 sq ft basement with only 2 or 3 very small windows.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...