Thread: Another Bandsaw blade question

Another Bandsaw blade question

I have a somewhat new Grizzly G0513x2b 17" bandsaw that I absolutely love. I have been primarily a hand tool woodworker for a while now but decided this was the tool I need to cut down on some labor (resawing and long rip cuts). I also use the saw for cutting curves. I have recently got into acoustic guitar making and the saw is great for this. But I want to be able to resaw my own wide boards of pretty dense woods like rosewood.

My first resaw blade I purchased was a Woodmaster B 1" blade. While I really like the blade and it buzzes through most everything I've thrown at it, it is a pain to get on and off the saw. It is the max width blade the saw accecpts and really is not easy to get into place. I wish Grizzly had the slot in the table in the same orientation the blade goes one such as Rikon's saws.

So now my question is what you would recommend for 3/4" wide blade designed for resawing. I'd like to go with carbide but am not opposed to HSS similar to the Woodmaster B. Carbide blades get pretty expensive but am sure they'll pay for themselves especially in the dense stuff. There are just far too many blades to choose from out there but am still struggling to find the right 3/4" wide blade. And no, I don't think I want a Woodslicer or Timber Wolf blade as they will not last long enough.

Sorry if this subject has been beaten to death but just can't come up with a decision.

I like Lenox blades and the Trimaster (I have 1", 2/3 var pitch, carbide) and the Diemaster2 (I have 1/2", 6tpi, hook style, bimetal) work well for me on my MM20 for general cutting AND resawing. Before plunking down heavy green for a carbide, try the much cheaper Diemaster2 and see what you think. I am almost certain the Diemaster2 was the same blade David Marks uses on his big blue bandsaw on Woodworks.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

It is the max width blade the saw accecpts and really is not easy to get into place. I wish Grizzly had the slot in the table in the same orientation the blade goes one such as Rikon's saws.
    Yes, that is one of the real pluses to the Rikon 10-325. I'm interested in the Diemaster2 as well but the max width commonly available seems to be 1/2". You might check into a company called Supercut. I have a couple of their premium gold blades that seem to have good life but I'm just cutting oak, cherry & pine - nothing known to be hard on blades. They make a bitmetal blade. I emailed them asking about durability compared to their other blades. They replied it'd depend on the wood. It might be worth a phone call.

http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/woodsaver.html
    http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/bimetal.html

The woodsaver plus seems interesting in that the band is .025" with variable pitch teeth and they advertise the kerf as .030". That seems like the teeth may not have much set so produce a smoother cut sort of like the woodslicer. A woodslicer with better life?

The woodsaver blade def looks interesting. Although it may not offer the life of a solid carbide tooth blade it still should outlast most of the cheaper resaw blades out there. But I will need to call them to see where the price range falls and if it is worth trying out.

Anyone here have any experience with Supercut bandsaw blades?

I was about to recommend the resaw blade Woodslicer but since you don't want it, why not try looking on Lenox blades. I tried using carbon blade (not really for resawing) ,it was just small resawing plywood. The cuts were not near as perfect but it was a fine job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    The woodsaver blade def looks interesting. Although it may not offer the life of a solid carbide tooth blade it still should outlast most of the cheaper resaw blades out there. But I will need to call them to see where the price range falls and if it is worth trying out.

Anyone here have any experience with Supercut bandsaw blades?
    I too would be interested in the price. I have a couple of their premium gold blades which is what the guy I talked to recommended for general usage in domestic hardwoods. The life seems very good and there's no drift with a not-that-fussy-everthings-perfect installation. Cut quality seems very similar to a Lenox flexback 1/2" 3 t.p.i. One very light pass through the planer or a couple passes through the drum sander and good to go.