Thread: Making DW618 router speed control remote?

Making DW618 router speed control remote?

I always thought that the Milwaukee 3-HP router with remote speed control (for router tables) was neat.

I have a DW618 that lives in the router table/extension wing in an older Rockler (Jessem) lift.

Router table has a downdraft box, and I'm able to perform bit changes above the table.

Changing speeds, though, is a PITA.

Today I was blowing out the router and removed the end-cap, and noticed that the speed control seems to be: (1) Self-contained (potted). (2) Connected via just three wires (I think). (3) Easily removed (the only thing holding it in place is guides molded into the router's casing, I think).

So I'm thinking of making some extension wires, and maybe relocating the speed control (maybe mounting it to the front of the downdraft box).

Has anyone else done anything like this?

Edit to add: Does the speed control release a lot of heat? It is of a decent size, sorta wondering it the router's fan is also used to cool the speed control.

2nd edit to add: The reason I'm thinking of moving this controller outboard, instead of just getting a single-speed router and outboard speed control, is that I believe the DW618 has a tachometer to maintain speed at whatever it is set, even under load. My experience with single speed routers and aftermarket speed controls is that loads can slow them down quite a bit. But with three wires to the control, does it actually have a tach?

3rd edit to add: This control does look to be only three wires and a pretty standard triac, with no tach or other features. So probably going to just bypass the thing and use an external speed control. The router is supposed to be a soft-start, is there something in the speed control that does soft start I assume?
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 08-01-2013 at 12:04 AM.

I don't have one but there are threads about a ring magnet at the top of the 618 motor breaking or coming loose and the motor loses speed control so I suspect there's some sort of feedback mechanism. I had P-C speed control on an 8529 bite the big one and no replacement available. I just removed it and wired straight through. Same deal, just 3 wires and looked freestanding. Some external speed controls imply that they have some sort of feedback mechanism to regulate/maintain speed. I'm not sure how they'd do that without some sort of tachometer.

I have a 618, too. Yes, the magnet ring is prone to breaking. Seems to do it far more often when the router is mounted upside down. I don't use mine in my router table for that reason. Just something to keep in mind. I see no reason why you couldn't mount the control remotely. I don't know how hot it may get, but a vented enclosure might help.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I don't have one but there are threads about a ring magnet at the top of the 618 motor breaking or coming loose and the motor loses speed control so I suspect there's some sort of feedback mechanism.
    I've read that, too.

Okay, looking at this a bit more, I suspect that the speed control isn't a simple triac. The magnet ring isn't that far away from the speed control, I suspect the speed control has another circuit inside that is picking-up the magnet. So I cannot easily remove the speed control from the router.

Oh well, now I know.

Phil is probably correct. But maybe you could unsolder the pot and relocate just it, leaving the rest of the electronics in place.

John

On one hand, I want to say it's just a potentiometer, extend it and see if it works, especially if it has only three wires. But in the replacement parts breakdown, they call it a "module" and want some ungodly price for it. You'd think they were building light sabres or something.....