Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best of the best?

Best of the best?

Just for fun. If money were no object.....

Best turning tools/gouges? Sorby? Crown? Thompson? Easy?

Best three-day turning school/instructor?

Thanks

2. When it comes to tools l think Thompson wins.

There are so many good instructors, it comes down to what direction you're turning is going. I haven't been to all the schools but l was very impressed with Arrowmont and the Appalachian Center for Craft.

What Mike said

Thompson and D-Way tools.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I think Best tool is going to depend a lot on the turners. I know people who swear Thompsons are best. And people who swear Glaser are best. And so on and so on. I use a sorby gouge a lot, but I have Thompsons and like them also. Hard for me to pick a best. Not all are sharpened the same so it kind of depends on what I am trying to turn at the time. I will however be picking up some Thompson tools at the OVWG symposium in October.

As far as instructors go, It kind of depends on what direction you want to go. I am totally peeked about going to Marc Adams in September for a 2 day class with Malcom Tibbets on ribbon turning. Now anyone not interested in segmented or ribbon turning would not think of this as best. However I am interested in both so at this time I think it to be best.

I have seen Lyle Jamieson demo several times and think he would also be a great instructor.

Most turners have settled in to what they find suits their needs. Tool choice involves a lot - flute design, level of polish/finish (which can affect edge quality), type of metal, relationship with the manufacturer, etc. The type of turning you do and the woods you use also affect choice of tool. Toughness (impact toughness) and wear resistance are two different qualities, and the type of wood used and your technique may make one or the other more important to you in tool selection.

Like most, I started out cheap, then went with Thompson V10 tools. Doug's 3/8" V gouge, and the detail spindle gouges seem to work really well for me. I also have a couple D-Way bowl gouges. I like the flute design, and the polish. Dave gets a very high hardness heat treat on his tools, and with the M42 Cobalt steel I have found them to hold an edge better than my other tools. The alloy additives can make a huge difference in the characteristics of the steel. V15 is one of the newer metals, but personally, there is a trade off with the V15 steel I am not willing to make.

I have not tried the Glaser, but some folks love them.

Gouges are like cordless drills or routers; there are several well-regarded brands, and people tend to love the ones they own. The d-ways and thompsons get all positive reviews here on SMC.

If money is truly no object, the thing to invest in is a decent slow speed grinder and a couple CBN wheels. They will take your turning to higher levels faster than the 'best' gouge will.

If your a beginner, Craft Supply has very good three and five day classes. I use a lot of sorby tools and like them.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

I may take a lot of grief for this, but for a beginning turner you can't beat the Easywood tools, with replaceable carbide cutting heads. When I started turning 40 years ago, the carbide tip option didn't exist. When I started up again about 7 years ago I bought a Sorby gouge, then the Easywood. Sorby us rarely used now. Just as technology changes, so does tool technology. Try one and I bet you don't go back!

I think the teacher is more important then the school, but if you ever get a chance to take a class at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport Maine I highly recommend it. The facilities are top notch, the turning building has 11 Oneway lathes, and the atmosphere and location are fantastic.

As far as tools go, I have own, Glaser, Thompson, D-Way, Sorby, Easy Wood Toos, Hunter Tools, and others. For basic bowl gouges, my favorite is D-Way. I like the combination of flute shape and steel the best. Thompson has some nice specialty gouges, and their new Jimmy Clews series looks nice to me too.

Sorry Blair Swing, but I won a set of Easy Wood Tools, have tried them a few times and just don't like them. To me, nothing beats a good gouge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I second the teacher aspect although I am mostly self taught my mentor in Lincoln Ne was a former Tuskegee airman by the name of Col. Adams. As I look back he was one of the major reasons I joined ROTC in college. So try to find someone that has some different tools and try them first and find out what feels most comfortable to you. Just as some people are Chevy and some Ford you need to find what works for you. The only thing we can all agree on here is that a sharp tool is critical the rest is by feel and listening to what the wood is revealing to you.

good luck and happy shavings!

Blog Entries
    Tools... subjective to each. I would say whatever one finds that works best for them.

Teachers/Schools... again subjective. But with this I would say how a person learns, their personality verses the teacher/school. Find what works and stick with it/them.
    Have a Nice Day!

Someone will read this thread and say "Why didn't they pick mine" What feels good and works good is what is best for you. Why bother with the unnecessary?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

My first gouge was an old Glaser (10%V) and bought several others before he went out of business for years. I still use them--mostly 10% and one 5% and have yet to like any steels better. Thompson's seem to be as good but I have not tried the others yet. The new glasers have a detachable handle or I would try them. I am old fashoned and still prefer a good heavy tropical wood handle to metal/plastic. The old Glaser line offered a 20% van. gouge but I missed trying it. The older I get and lazier the more I appreciate the high van. steels--they stay sharp.

Blog Entries
    Jim, Very good thought.
    Have a Nice Day!