Thread: Old Craftsmsn wood lathe help

Old Craftsmsn wood lathe help

I have been looking for information on an old Craftsman wood lathe, (auction for $3.00). I cannot find any model number. Most parts have part numbers cast into them. I have disassembled it to see exactly what I have vs need. Wonder if anyone can help me with a few issues?
    I am looking for:
    any manual that may have come with the lathe (no luck on vintagemachinery.org),
    the tail stock clamp, part L2-7, someone used a hunk of steel plate instead,
    the correct tool rest, part number unknown, may be 9-333,
    the head stock base, part L2-2, part of it broke out, another one would be nice but not absolutely necessary.
    What motor would you advise, hp, rpm, clockwise rotation, etc?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Myk Rian; 07-27-2013 at 4:25 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Wow! Your lathe looks really great. Mine is exactly like it. VM.org had a couple Craftsman 9" lathe manuals, both from 1938. Motor sits below the lathe. Think mine is from 1935. Motor must sit behind lathe. If you come across anything else, please pass along. Thanks for sharing. Ed

Additional information from lathes.co.uk/craftsmanwood/. My model appears to be a cross between two models shown below, headstock from the 1st with bed and tailstock from the 2nd. Year, 1935 - 1936.

Craftsman, Companion & Dunlap
    Wood-turning Lathes 1933 - 1943
    By 1935, and with the dropping of the Herberts "Wood Wizard" range, the entire range of Craftsman wood-turning lathes had been changed. The cheapest machine, illustrated below, was the 6-inch swing by 24 inches between centres model which, like its forebears, had a 5/8-inch spindle running in bronze bearings driven by a 3-step V pulley. Instead of a central foot, the cross-braced bed was deepened in section over its central portion. The price, at $4.85, remained below the crucial $5 mark.
    Craftsman 6-inch x 24-inch wood-turning lathe of 1935 - this inexpensive model remained in the lists until 1938.
    1935 to 1936 Craftsman 9-inch lathe.
    Unlike the earlier 9-inch lathe, with its ball-bearing headstock, this model made do with cheap "Oilite" porous-bronze bushes. However, the spindle was bored hollow, took a number 1 Morse-taper centre and could be fitted with a faceplate on its left-hand end for large-capacity bowl turning.. Unfortunately, the ring of 60 indexing holes on the headstock pulley was missing and the bed had lost its mid-way foot. However (and rather surprisingly) the tailstock could be set over for taper turning and a limited range of accessories - a compound slide rest, 3 and 4 jaw chucks and a fixed steady - was available to convert it into a metal-turning lathe.

The lathe I linked to isn't mine. Just one I found on the VM site.
    I have a Delta that I have done nothing to, except spend a ton on accessories.
    Free doesn't always mean Free.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night