Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baluster - boy do I need a steady rest!

Baluster - boy do I need a steady rest!

This took 3-1/2 hours of my life last night, and boy was it tedious! The wood moved as soon as I cut into it and got it round, and then it was no longer concentric. I managed to turn it with no steady rest, but it was slow going because of all the chatter.

One of the reasons it was so whippy is that the original baluster was only about 35+ inches, but for some reason the customer wanted it to be 41 inches- another 5+ inches on the slim end.
    1-3/4" square x .90" diameter on the round end, x 41" long.

StairBaluster.jpg

Any recommendations on a steady rest?

(PS. anyone ever notice how lathe manufacturers fudge on their capacity numbers? They should rename the Jet 1642 to something like the JET 15.75" x almost 41"... The head stock was right up against the stop, and the tailstock was hanging halfway off the bed.)
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 07-25-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Oneway spindle steady is nice for spindles. Carter's multirest is very versatile. Not sure how small it will go for spindles though. I gae both so I never have used Carter's for anything small.

Jim, check out this easy steady rest solution http://mikepeacewoodturning.blogspot...-rest-tip.html
    If it were me I would reverse the baluster so most of the turning is closer to the headstock. I would also use a chuck to grasp the small end even if it required the extra step to first turn the tenon between centers and then rechuck. My PM3520 would not hold that long a spindle without adding a short bed extension.
    God is great and life is good!

Would it have been less whippy if you put the larger end towards the headstock? I ask because I thought the rule of thumb was bigger end always goes towards the head stock.

I would agree with the suggestions to use a chuck to grip at least one end (headstock) and have the more substantial portion at the headstock. That said, a steady of some sort probably should be used.

There was no way to use a chuck on my lathe with this spindle. There's simply not enough room. Remember what I said about renaming the 1642? Reducing the accessible length of the bed by several inches with the use of a chuck, and still being able to turn a 41" spindle, is just not possible.

As for the turning sequence, I started in the center, worked toward the tailstock, then finished up with the smallest part at the headstock... So all the bulk was left on until the very last moment. It still didn't help. It may have helped if I had swapped it around to do the small end on the tailstock last, I don't know... I just know it's easier for me to use the skew from right to left, rather than left to right.

Thanks Mike, I'll check out that linkie...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

It looks like a very good candidate for being turned in two sections with a tenon/mortise and glue up. Seems that would solve a couple of problems.

Hmmmm... I didn't think of that... Thanks John!

Too bad I don't have any more of this particular one to do, I might try it out. Found out this AM through an intermediary that the other twenty I priced (sight unseen) were another spindle... Too bad the intermediary didn't give me all the information. Advice for anyone selling work - deal directly with the customer.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I just know it's easier for me to use the skew from right to left, rather than left to right.
    Interesting, I'm just the opposite, are you left handed (mostly just idle curiosity)?

so I've turned a fair number of largish brew spoons (or at least the handles thereof) between centers with no steady rest, these are in the 30+" range with the handle being the majority of the length and roughly 3/4" thick. Doing this I've found a few things help:
    • Definitely leave the bulk of the wood near the headstock
    • Remove wood from the side on the tailstock first and work towards the headstock
    • turn to finish as you go and leave as much wood as possible on the headstock side (I usually turn maybe 3-4 inches down to finish and have another 3-4 inches "in transition" at a time).

It can still be a little whippy but I can just use my one hand behind the piece to stabilize it while I use the skew to "finish it" on the worst part (right near the center). In the worst case I end up with some ripples from chatter, but they're usually pretty small so I can just sand them out fairly quickly. If you get to where its vibrating I find that you either have to take suuuuper light cuts or better if you can go back to where its smooth before the chatter and cut from there (once its bouncing it don't want to stop); having lots of meat left where you can pickup from helps with that as well. Adjusting the speed slightly up or down often helps as well (there seem to be points where you hit harmonics).

having said all that - nice job on the baluster!

Thanks Ryan!

I followed the second and third admonitions (as well as using my hand as a steady), but obviously didn't follow the first one. Since it's been recommended by several of you, if I get a shot at those other 20 spindles, I'll definitely try that out...

And no, I'm not left handed. I suppose I should practice the opposite grip now and then.

Thanks for all the responses...

Any other recommends for a steady?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

lathes, are like boats, I guess...a 16 ft boat is 15- 1/2 ft! :-) The oneway spindle unit works very well & fits any lathe. I've always wondered why tailstocks don't have the capacity to grab spindles with a small accessory gizmo (like a collet) and PULL a spindle taught. Good luck
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Michelle, I think you're right. Maybe we should talk to Nick Cook about the next iteration of the Powermatic so that it will have this feature (and change that nasty color).
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

If you prefer not to purchase a good steady rest you could rig a temporary rest with an open end wrench attached to an upright. Use one slightly larger than your final dia.. Turn a bearing surface to fit the wrench and come back last and sand or file it level. The bearing needs to be in the center naturally and aluminum foil is a great for taking up the last slack and slicks up things also.

Got word today that the next "twenty" of these spindles is actually another 4 completely different spindles - 20 each of three of them, and 16 of one of them. And...

They want all 76 of them by Monday!

Unbelievable.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 07-30-2013 at 4:50 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Congratulations!?????.....Well, maybe??? Welcome to the world of production turning!