Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jointer question for the SMC pro's...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jointer question for the SMC pro's...

I am restoring a very old DURO jointer. The knives just rest in a groove and are held in place by the gibs. They do not touch the bottom of the grooves. There are no leveling screws. At least that's the case with the knives that were in there when I got the machine.

My question is... couldn't I just by wider knives that would rest at the bottom of the groove. This seems that it would make adjustments/replacement significantly easier. Even if the bottom of the groove wasn't square to the table, raising one end of the knife would be easire then trying to balance the knife in the air before tightening.

Does this make sense?

John, it sounds like you have a good excuse to buy a set of Jointer Pals and it would be a lot cheaper than a new set of custom blades.
    Hartville sells them: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11094
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I did see a similar product, but wasn't sure if this was "gimmicky" or if folks are really using it.

Fortunately, the blades I thinking of using are off the shelf items.

Thanks, Bruce.

jointer pals

I made my own.
    I took a piece of 1/4 plate glass 5 1/4 x 12"
    and super glue 4 rare earth magnets to it.
    2 to hold the glass to the outfeed table 2 to snatch
    the knives.
    Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    I made my own.
    the knives.
    Per
    hey per. on your jointer glass jig, did you put the mags on top so that the glass is touching the table and the knives come up to the same plane.? as i understood it i could see a mag thickness causing troubles otherwize. just a differnt picture in my mind perhaps
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Here you go,

Sorry If I confuse Larry,
    The internet can be confusing
    and in my hubris I assume people know
    what I am talking about.
    The glass I had.
    Magnets too.
    Same with the glue.
    Construction time, 1 minute.
    100% effective.
    The magnets go up.
    It is so cool when the knives "pink" against the glass.
    Time to adjust the knives, as fast as you can
    quarter turn the gib bolt.
    Hope this helps those who don't need another gadget.
    Per
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Per,

That is a great idea thanks for sharing it!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

per - If you haven't already done so, you ought to submit that idea to the WW magazines. That's about as simple and effective an idea as I've seen.

Per - thanks for the new explanation. I had the idea backwards also. I am heading to the store in ten minutes for my magnets.

Ps...I also liked your thoughts on people hard selling their favorite ideas from another thread.

Setting jointer knives

And to think for 30 years, I was borrowing two bar magnets from the science department. Now why didn't they have this "new fangled" stuff when I was teaching. E! gads!
    Some people are just dumb and then there is me. In another world.
    Daniel
    Per, what a GREAT idea. Now remember to hold the magnets close to the front edge of the glass, that the knives are "plinking up to", so that you can get the wrench down in to tighten the nuts. Or is that just a given - huh?
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McCoy View Post
    per - If you haven't already done so, you ought to submit that idea to the WW magazines. That's about as simple and effective an idea as I've seen.
    I've been using that method for years. Not really a new idea.
    You can use glass, plastic, anything that is flat.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Funny that Per has his magnets on top. On of the WW magazines did post a similar jig using 6 magnets on the bottom. The idea/design was this:
    1. Place the magnets on the jointer bed in two rows of three. Two magnets next to each other and the third spaced out about 2" (this one will overhang the bed and "grab the blades). The rows should be about 2" narrower that the jointer is wide (4" apart for a 6" jointer)
    2. Apply glue to each of the magnets and lay a piece of plywood on top. Allow to dry.

The plywood does not need to be flat it is there to just hold the magnets. The fact that the magnets were stuck to the bed when the glue dried will keep them all in the same plane.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson View Post
    I made my own.
    the knives.
    Per
    Per, I made one of your jigs, but the problem I'm having with my Duro Jointer is that it dosen't use jib gib screws and a chipper to hold the knives in. It has allen head set screws that go thru the knife slot into the drum and clamps the the slot sides together on the blade They go into the drum on an angle from the outfeed table side. If I set the knives so the edge of the knife is flush with the outfeed table, the set screws are under the table where you can't get to them. If I rotate the drum so the bevel of the knives are level and adjust the outfeed table flush with them using your jig, and slide the glass to one side I can tighten one outside set screw then slide it the other way and do the same with the other screw it seems to look ok. But when I raise the outfeed table back flush with the knive tip, I find that the inside edge is about .003 lower than the outside edge of the knives on all 3 of them. Any Ideas on how to solve this problem? The screws do not touch the knives so they wouldn't be moving it any, and when the bevel is level the blades are sucked up tight to the glass by the magnets with no gap. other than the blade being slightly tapered on the edge I can't think of why this is happening. If I could figure out someway to set them level using the tip of the knife it would work also, but I can't get to the screws that way.
    I know this is long but I hope I explained it enough that someone can help me out here.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by John Harris
    I did see a similar product, but wasn't sure if this was "gimmicky" or if folks are really using it.

Fortunately, the blades I thinking of using are off the shelf items.

Thanks, Bruce.
    John, I bought a pair of "Planner Pals" for my 15" planner after struggling trying to set the blades with the OEM jig. The Planner Pals worked great.
    Be sure to post some pictures of your restored jointer!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I had to buy a set of planer pals to use on my old jointer. It didn't have leveling screws, or an adjustable outfeed. It worked pretty well. I haven't have the need to use it on my PM yet.
    Last edited by Bill Lewis; 05-25-2005 at 7:27 AM.