Thread: Projects from the last few days

Projects from the last few days

It's been pretty hot and miserable here lately, but I've still taken the opportunity to spend some time in the shop.

On Thursday I cored a set of bowls from a blank of spalted sweet gum as practice for a coring demo that I did for our club meeting on Saturday. This set cored very easily and was probably the quickest coring I've done. It still needs a little more sanding and some oil, but it served it's purpose and the demo went well.
    PICT0009-001.JPG
    When I got home from the demo on Saturday I just wanted to turn something quick and easy, so I picked up a ratty looking mesquite blank. I just wanted to do a simple form, with no embellishments or fancy details and thought the bark inclusion would give it a little bit of interest.
    It's about 8 1/2" x 3" and just has a single coat of Danish oil.
    PICT0005-001.JPGPICT0007-001.jpg
    I recently received an Ashley Isles threading tool from my boyfriend (it's the one that does both the inside and outside threads), so today I decided to try it out and see if I could get anything close to working threads. I cut off a blank from some mesquite to practice on. I know mesquite is not the best wood for threading, but it's relatively hard and it met the prime requirement of being free (the best kind of wood for practice).
    I turned a small box so that in addition to getting a feel for cutting the threads, I could also get a feel for sizing the tenon for a proper fit.
    I didn't pay attention to form, wall thickness or grain alignment since my focus was simply on making threads, so the box is just a plain little box, but I got the hang of threading pretty quick and with a little more practice, I think I'll have it down pretty good.
    It's 2 1/2" x 2" with just a coat of Danish oil.

PICT0001-001.JPGPICT0002.jpgPICT0003-001.JPG

Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad to hear that the threading went well! It's on my bucket list. My wife bought me the Ray Isles set with a Sorby thread gauge. I've been planning on taking some time to learn in August. I've heard it is a difficult thing to master and I'm hoping it's not. I personally think threads add a sense of elegance to boxes.
    Have a Nice Day!

I do my threading on corian and adapt it to whatever I have hollowed. Works well.If I accidently get two starting threads after the threads are cut, I simply put the lathe in reverse and thread it backwards, to eliminate the unnecessary thread. Max

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    I do my threading on corian and adapt it to whatever I have hollowed. Works well.If I accidently get two starting threads after the threads are cut, I simply put the lathe in reverse and thread it backwards, to eliminate the unnecessary thread. Max
    That is a great idea. I've got a bunch of corian 2" tile squares I thought I'd practice on. Thought I'd glue them together to make small blocks.
    Have a Nice Day!

Kathy those all look great. I do like the lidded box. Really like the nested bowls.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

All look good. The nested bowl set is very impressive.