Thread: Replacement Doors

Replacement Doors

I have two doors that are long overdue for replacement. Both doors will be painted.

#1 is the front door. Currently it's a steel 36 inch door with two sidelights. I'm planning on going with fiberglass replacements.

#2 is a patio door that was used to a 3 season porch on the back of the house. The current door is a 6 foot wooden French door, single pane, that doesn't seal worth a darn. I think it is actually an interior door that was thrown in to keep the cost down. I'm also thinking of going fiberglass with this door.

My questions are: how do you accurately measure the opening to get the doors ordered, any reason to not use fiberglass, and any suggestions on brands of doors to use?
    Wood'N'Scout

Measurement depends on whether you are going with slab doors or pre-hung. On the patio door I would go with an insulated, double pane slider. To measure a pre-hung unit you can take the casing off and measure the opening but everything is pretty standard unless it is a custom job. If you have the door sizes any of the home centers should be able to help you order the right thing.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I've replaced 3 doors since moving here. My shop i bought an inexpensive steel one with a wood frame. Looks all dinged up (and the cheap wood frame hasn't exactly held up well either.) The two on the house I did fiberglass and both still look great. Both of those claimed to have "rot proof" frames. We're about to reside the shop, and I'm going to have the contractor install a new fiberglass door as part of the project. Eventually we need to replace the back door to the deck too and it will be fiberglass. Our front door I have no idea on the brand. The other one I bought was off the shelf from Lowes--its a Therma-Tru I believe--nice door. Due to the timing it sat unpainted over a winter and the factory finish did fine. The first nice warm but not too hot spring day I painted it. I don't think i'd risk that with steel. If you bump something into a steel door its going to dent. Fiberglass has a certain amount of give. The steel is so thin, I wouldn't be surprised if their puncture-resistance isn't about the same.

FYI, I regularly see really nice front entry doors on clearance at the big boxes that are often mis-orders. Our front door was one of those. Home Depot mis-ordered someone's door THREE TIMES and one was perfect for us except the whole assembly was 3" too narrow due to a narrower sidelite than we had. We added a 2x6 on each side, I made new trim PVC trim to replace the brick mold, and we did some minor drywall patching inside, replaced a couple pieces of baseboard with scraps from another project, and you'd never know. Saved over $1000 on a really nice door with leaded glass in the door and sidelite.