Thread: Got a woodfast lathe, some questions

Got a woodfast lathe, some questions

Hey guys,

I just picked up a new to me Woodfast M408 lathe today. So excited! But I have a couple of questions. It came with a drive spur in it, but it doesn't seem like it has been taken out...ever. Lol. I can not get that sucker out with a knockout bar. Is there any trick for one that is stuck that doesn't risk damage to the spindle?

The other thing I'm curious about is a spindle lock. Is there one on this machine? The only thing I see is the indexing pin, which incidentally, I can't get to work either. Any tricks for that operation too?

Lol I swear I'm not a newb, this one is just different than my last.

And because I have to share, attached is a pic!

Thanks guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Keeton; 07-20-2013 at 10:31 PM.

The drive spur is probably rusted in place. If it were mine I would soak it for a few days with Liquid Wrench before even trying to budge it. In the meantime you might want to pick-up and MT1or2(whatever yours is) reamer to clean up the taper to remove any rust. If it is really bad you may want to remove the spindle and take it to a machine shop to be pressed out.

"The best things in life are not things."

My drive spur got stuck in my PM. I went through a bunch of hoops (heat, oils, knock out bar, and fluids, and calling PM) only to find that if you put pipe wrench or similar grasping tool on the spur and give it a rotational wack, it'll come loose. That is how the tool repair guy PM sent out got it out. I was just scared to do that. Use some penetrating lube and give it a rotational wack. Then clean out your MT and your spur.
    I don't know where your spindle lock is. Have you tried the Google?

RP

I've had quite a lot of experience with that lathe. A place where I used to teach had several of them. It's a good machine but it has some faults. One is the lack of a spindle lock. The locking pin for the indexer will lock the spindle but will break with any rough treatment. The fact that it has no reverse is a fault in my opinion. A lathe of that quality should be equipped with reverse.

I can't offer any advice on the stuck spur center other than what you've already received. If you decide to try the pipe wrench I suggest that you NOT lock the spindle with the indexing pin. To secure the spindle have someone hold a long wrench against the bed instead. I've used that method to remove stuck face plates so that should work to free it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 07-21-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Thanks guys! I let it soak with some pb blaster overnight, and that seemed to do the trick. Great call on the reamer, too!

I actually have googled quite a bit, but either my google-fu is weak, or there just isn't a whole lot of info/talk about the Australian version.

Wally, could you give me a little run down on how the indexing pin is supposed to work? I can't get it to budge either, but don't want to force it.

Its my eventual plan to get a 3 phase motor and a vfd for this bad boy. Then I'll have the vs and the reverse, and all will be right with the world.

Sorry Scott....I've had no experience using the indexer on the Woodfast.

A suggestion....when you change the electronics try to work in a remote switch. One of the faults with this lathe and with some others is the switch location. A remote allows for an easier and safer location.

Blog Entries
    Take two aspirin and give it plenty of fluids and in time you'll knock it right out.
    Have a Nice Day!

I've loved my Woodfast 408 for many years, and the index pin and spindle lock share the same function. I wouldn't recommend applying too much force to the pin as a spindle lock, but use a wrench on the spindle shaft flats instead. My 408 had a factory, or maybe Craft Supply, remote pigtail on the VFD in the tailstock base, a simple female 1/4" phono plug socket that made it easy to add a low voltage remote ON/OFF box with a magnet to the tailstock.

congratulations on your new lathe Scott

is this the lathe that was on ebay , and posted on AAW site?

enjoy

PB Blaster and light taps with a small hammer over several days should loosen things up. Rust or a burr on the taper will seize things up quickly. Clean the bore with some steel wool and apply a light coat of oil to minimize rust. I have that same machine but it does not get a lot of use as I mostly do flat work. I am currently on the lookout for a machine to add to the arsenal with a longer distance between centers.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    congratulations on your new lathe Scott

is this the lathe that was on ebay , and posted on AAW site?

enjoy
    Yep, it sure is. I was trying to register on AAW so I could say "Its MINE!!", and then to give the answers to some of the questions posed there, but the registration process is giving me trouble.
    Last edited by Scott Colba; 07-22-2013 at 10:16 AM.

give a call toll free @ 877-595-9094 tell um Charlie sent ya, might help, might not