Thread: craigslist or ebay for selling tools?

craigslist or ebay for selling tools?

I've got a Inca bandsaw and table saw that I want to sell but I'm not sure if I should use craigslist or ebay. Any
    idea on which is the better venue for selling tools?

I'd go with your local CL first. Shipping either of those to an eBay buyer would be a headache.
    Of coarse you could become a Contributor and try selling them here.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-20-2013 at 4:01 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think of ebay as a place to look for stuff that can be easily shipped from anywhere to anywhere -- like hand tools. I think of Craigslist as a place to look for stuff that really should be picked up in person -- like table saws or cars.

Why not try Sawmill Creek?

CL for sure if you are in an area with population. The biggest thing to consider with CL is that its totally free, you have nothing to loose advertising there.....except a little sanity dealing with some of the calls.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

IMHO, CL if you want to maximize your proceeds. many more ill informed wanna be woodworkers willing to overpay for tools.

Craigslist for sure. The downside to CL is you don't get as many potential customers.

With eBay you get a much larger set of potential customers, at a cost.
    On eBay you will pay ~10% of the final selling price, including shipping cost, plus another 1.9%-2.9% to PayPal. If you are going to list on eBay, adjust your prices accordingly.

And you CAN list on eBay as local pickup only!

Ebay isn't what it used to be. You'll be competing with way to many corporations. Without a seller rating of 50,000+ a lot of buyers won't consider you. The current retail nature of Ebay has ruined it as the place for small sellers.

Jim, I agree with the others on Craigslist. If you didn't know this, there is also an Inca Yahoo site where people do look for machines to purchase. You might give that a shot, too. I once owned quite a bit of Inca tools, but am down to my trusty 10.5" bandsaw that I just can't get myself to sell as it is so good. I do have a need for a larger one and may get there at some point.

Good luck,
    Kevin

I have bought and sold numerous woodworking machines on Craigslist and would go that route. But, I evaluate each email I get as a seller carefully before I ever respond, and if something doesn't feel right, I will simply ignore the email. I won't invite anyone to the house until I've researched them and gotten comfortable they are legitimate. I have had someone try and give me a $13k fake cashiers check for a piano I was selling on CL and I discovered it by seaching the name of the bank on Google and saw it was having tons of counterfeit checks, so be carefu.

There is an Inca user group on the Yahoo groups. You'll need to join in order to post.

It will sell quickly there.