Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Format Sliding Saw- Outrigger function and use.

Mike, there is more to the Airtight pneumatic clamps than you would think. I've had a bunch of $150 manual ones and they are all worthless in comparison. You have a choice of +- 6 degrees cant or full horizontal and vertical adjustment. The cant is a huge improvement as clamps have a tendency to push the stock away from the fence. The bases Mac makes glide over the table without binding and really spoil you. His machine work is kind of like art in comparison to what you generally see. Clamps can be operated together or individually and one always engages before the other so they don't fight each other. you get a good quality regulator on a magnetic base, a roller to keep the tubing running smoothly. Nothing is Asian, the fittings are really high quality and you can get quick release ones so the clamps can be easily move to another machine. They totally blow away the felder versions. Dave

David- Please PM me the contact details and I'll check them out. You got me interested.

Mike, since you mentioned a digital rip fence, have you considered a Tigerstop or Razor-Gage motorized rip fence? Again, I am not sure if it is OK to post direct links here but they both are on the web and easy to find. I have no firsthand experience with the second brand (other than having owners who like it) but I do with Tigerstop and their unit replaces the entire rip fence. Basically, a bolt-on CNC fence. When last I checked, pricing was somewhere around $5K USD but don't trust me on that. Again, one more thing to save steps and remove operator error from cuts.

Regarding the parallel cutting fence, what Sam did was mount that clincher to the OEM steel side table for his saw. Most every mfr. makes a steel side table like this (for panel support on long rips) so there is probably one available for your machine. Or if not, you could probably buy a different brand and adapt it to yours; should not be too difficult. Anyhow, he just drilled and tapped some holes in the steel side table and fixed the Clincher to that. I believe Jointech no longer makes the Clincher but perhaps they make a newer version and I would try Incra and Kreg Jigs, as well. More pics...

Best,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Mike, this is the slider in our shop. One device which really makes a huge difference is a short fence for parallel cutting. You might already be aware of this or even have one. Ours is a Jointech Clincher (discontinued, I believe...) though I am sure there are other options...

Erik, I realize this is an old thread and that you don't work for Minimax anymore, but I was wondering if you remembered or had pictures of how that Jointech unit was mounted to that extension table? Is there some clamp-style mechanism underneath that keeps it in place? It looks like that block of wood on the back of the base is used for alignment, but I can't tell how the whole thing stays secured.

Thanks,
    Steve
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Steve, you actually might want to message Sam Blasco about that. That's him in the photo. I've been in his shop, too...really nice setup!

Sam Blasco
    sam.blasco@scmgroup.com
    512-931-1962 (shop)
    512-796-3036 (mobile)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, you actually might want to message Sam Blasco about that. That's him in the photo. I've been in his shop, too...really nice setup!

Sam Blasco
    sam.blasco@scmgroup.com
    512-931-1962 (shop)
    512-796-3036 (mobile)
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Erik, I realize this is an old thread and that you don't work for Minimax anymore, but I was wondering if you remembered or had pictures of how that Jointech unit was mounted to that extension table? Is there some clamp-style mechanism underneath that keeps it in place? It looks like that block of wood on the back of the base is used for alignment, but I can't tell how the whole thing stays secured.

Thanks,
    Steve
    I just recently asked Sam this exact question after watching this video of his:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ8mPBm2VdY&t=0m16s

He said that it is an option from SCM that can be obtained through their spare parts department:
    https://spareparts.scmgroupna.com

There are 4 individual parts required that make up the extension:
    0545999100H
    0345999200F
    0000619495H
    0345999300H

It's about $500+ not including any tax/shipping.

Jeffrey,

I've seen that same video, and that's the inspiration for my question as well. I have a Hammer K3, and their equivalent extension table. I also have an Incra positioner in place of the Jointech that Sam uses. But my setup is kind of clunky and so I was looking to make it simpler.

Based on Jim's suggestion I emailed Sam directly, and he replied saying that he drilled and tapped holes in his extension table and just screws the positioner down every time. You can't really screw the Incra unit down like that due to its design, but I'm leaning toward drilling untapped holes and simply tightening the unit from underneath using either cam-style clamps or knobs.

Steve