Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Panel Material For Garage Door

I purchased a new wood garage door! I did not realize (until it was too late) that the inset panels were some sort of fiberboard. They are now deformed, cracked, and therefore junk
    The builder put one of those in when our house was built in 1986. By 1990, it was junk. No matter how often I painted it, it always looked nasty. Too much movement of the wood always left a nasty picture frame type of paint damage around the inside edge of the panels. Not all over,,,just enough of them @ one time to always look bad.
    We had a steel door put on & I haven't looked back.

I'm a slave to too many things around the house as it is. Getting out from under that stupid wood door was a blessing.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I think the change in the panels out by wounding and destroying it, yet pushing a new one back in is the problem. I'd make shapes of the right size, and use a router and guide bush to cut out sufficient material to eliminate the panel.

My old door had what seemed to be "untempered " Masonite ,sounds like that's what you have. "Tempered " Masonite would be better. Either could be covered with glued and painted cloth to last longer than the door itself.

Oops! An antique thread from 2013

Well, since i have to actually type a message, I made a garage door from signboard (MDO) 12 years ago. It's still flat and in good condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeld Wen now makes an outdoor grade of MDF that I saw recently that might work very well for this.

Blog Entries
    Guys this is a Five year old thread..........
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute