Thread: Lesson With Bill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lesson With Bill

Hi All: Included are a few photos from my day with Bill Grumbine on May 10. I can't take credit for the roughing of the bowl; Bill did that. I finished it at home with Minwax Antique Oil Finish. The wood is English Walnut. We also roughed out an apricot bowl for future finishing. Bill's DVD was pretty helpful prior to going down to see him and we spent some time working on other problem areas I've been having aside from bowlturning. All in all a good trip and recommended.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice bowl Ed (and Bill). The wood is striking. Looks like a very productive trip, and fun too!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Ed,

Very nice bowls. Bill makes it all look so easy! I am sure you had a great time. i am looking forward to getting up there again someday soon.

Chris

You sure picked a great one to take lessons from. He was the first person I ever saw turn a bowl. How did you like the Poolewood?
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Hey Ed...

While I don't turn bowls, I love to turn knobs and spindles with Bill. Glad you had a good time, but I didn't expect anything less.

I just noticed that you must live a stone's throw from the Hancock Shaker Village. Boy, that must be nice! I'd love to be able to wander down there anytime I want to look at a certain piece of furniture before I build it.

Oh, nice bowl, too!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Martin, Hancock Shaker Village is about 4 miles from where I live. They seem to do well with tourists. Glenn, what can I say about the Poolwood... it's no Jet Mini, but it's allright !

In a moderately priced lathe, Bill recommended either the Nova DVR or the Jet 1642. The DVR looks impressive and has a much smaller footprint than many.
    I found out from Bill that several of you Sawmill Creekers ( Jim, Glenn, Dominic, et al,) had training with Bill early in their start at woodturning. Hopefully, I also will approach their level of expertise some day.
    Ed

Howdy everyone! I was up in the shop and felt my ears burning - not to mention some other things burning, since I just made a very elementary bonehead error and ruined a beautiful natural edged cherry burl vase. But anway, Ed and I had a very nice time together, and our conversation went like this for much of the day:

Ed: So, do you know __________?

Bill: Yeah, guess where he took his first lesson?

Repeat several times.

It was actually kind of funny, because there are a lot of folks here who have never been to see me for turning lessons, but Ed was hitting one every time.

Ed, I will be looking forward to seeing how that bowl comes out.

Bill