Thread: Beach chairs - which fabric material?

Beach chairs - which fabric material?

I'm making a couple beach chairs (from beech) like the one shown. The project is simple enough except for two things. First, the mechanism which joins the rotating pieces together but allows them to move freely, for which I think I've decided on screw posts (unless someone has a better idea - PLEASE). Second, which fabric do I use? Do I have to stick with "canvas" which seems to come only in solid colors... or can I use something else? At the local fabric store they have "outdoor" fabrics, but they seem pretty light regardless. Plop a 200-pound+ butt on that, and there's no telling what might happen... or maybe there is!

Any experienced advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED. I really don't want to default back to slats and a cushion. THANKS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You could use a product called Sunbrella or any of a number of fabrics. Check out http://www.sailrite.com/. Start here.

A beach chair is different from a chair used on ones own property ,usually in the shade. The natural color canvas is the traditional cover .Strong,cheap ,cool,and easy to replace. Some skin is irritated by being in contact with dark dyes .

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    You could use a product called Sunbrella or any of a number of fabrics. Check out http://www.sailrite.com/. Start here.
    This past weekend I was just thinking about another project using outdoor fabric. Thank you for the link - that is just what I was looking for!

Thanks Dave.

I chatted with them and they said either awning fabric or marine grade. The marine grade is what they suggest for director's chairs but they only have 3 patterns. Any specific suggestions on which line has sufficient strength and appropriate texture? I really have no experience on this, and appreciate all input!

Tom

You might ask them for samples so you can get an idea of what feels good to you. They should be able to give you a good idea for strength, too, but I would think any of the fabrics they sell for boat biminis should work. Those fabrics are typically stretched almost drum tight and spend years in the direct sun without failing.