Thread: Estimating bf for projects

Estimating bf for projects

Is there a program that can estimate board feet by putting in size and style of a project. I want a very rough estimate for a bed I am making for my nephew, I don't have a plan so I am just figuring how much lumber I should order but don't want to go crazy since I am not buying it.

I know of no program that'll take so little information and give you something useful. You could probably find a plan online for a bed similar to what you want to build that would give you a board feet indication. Are you planning on winging it in the shop or are you going to draw up a plan? If you draw one up, you can work out the quantity you'll need. The ease with which you'd be able to do that depends upon how you draw it up.

At this point I would just like to know if something like 100 bf would do so I have an idea what to order I don't have a style or design from my sister yet. I am just trying to be ahead of the game. Just curious.

a while back I did a plan for a queen size Gamble house style bed. It required just shy of 40 bf not including waste allowance. Maybe that'll give you an idea.