Thread: I'm trying to id this 12" jointer.

I'm trying to id this 12" jointer.

I am thinking of buying this jointer, and understand the concerns about the square cutter-head. I would like to identify it so I can research whatever might be available about it. I have used machines this old, but never purchased or tuned one, so any advise in those areas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking, Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know I've seen that make before, but the name isn't coming to me. The owwm folks would have you an answer in short order though.
    Peter

There is a very knowledgeable old iron group over at the Canadian woodworking forum. Bet they could help you.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    There is a very knowledgeable old iron group over at the Canadian woodworking forum. Bet they could help you.
    sure does look English. most English planers(that what they call jointers) have fence mounts on the infeed were as meracian are on the the outfeed. the fence does not have gates though. as to tuning them up there no different today for the most part. looks like the two handle on the sides open the table to side open(many of the old planers open the gap at the cutter block for moulding knifes) and the angled way give rise and fall.

owwm . org is your best bet for info.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    owwm . org is your best bet for info.
    Might have been at one time but its pretty lane now unless it delta.

Some people know not what they speak of.

You could also go to vintagemachinery.org and wade through hundreds of pictures.
    That's the sister site to owwm
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 07-15-2013 at 3:10 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks everyone.

Some people know not what they speak of.
    That was my experience there too. but the vintage site is good. that is if it is in fact american ARN and that was my point. Great source on American ARN like delta(very light on the Canadian delta though) and the more common names but there a loss for any other country IMO. Yes they have British machine but the pool of knowledge is north american. BTW it was like pulling teeth getting the British makers up on that site let me tell you.

jack
    English machines
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 07-15-2013 at 9:05 PM.

Perusing the Vintage Machinery website, it looks a "Greaves Klusman"

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    That was my experience there too.
    I meant you.

I meant you.
    I will assume you are being ironic. Jack is a pretty darn knowledgeable guy who has rebuilt some pretty impressive equipment. He is very generous with his knowledge and time.
    not that he needs me sticking up for him, of course.
    Paul

Yes, I'm aware of Jack's rep.
    My point is that the site is good for any older machine, except Asian made, not just Delta. Many professionals hang out there, with a lot of knowledge.
    Since Bryan is not getting any ID help here, my suggestion was/is to go to owwm/vintagemachinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Britton View Post
    Perusing the Vintage Machinery website, it looks a "Greaves Klusman"

Good one Scott!

Could be a Dietz, Woermann & Co seeing that it does not have Greaves Klusman name cast into it. and they were the successors. I can't read this book here in Canada but you may down there and this book is not on vintage machinery BTW. like i said vintage is a great site the other is to much to weed through IMO.
    Have not seen Jeff Smith on there for some time know.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=JQBU...ed=0CC4Q6AEwAA

jack
    English machines

Last edited by jack forsberg; 07-16-2013 at 12:38 PM.

I found a photo of a Greaves Klusman on here and I think we have a winner. It has a manufacturers plate instead of being cast into the base, which would explain the rust and roughness under the paint. Thanks folks!