Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Minimax bandsaw owners

Question Question for Minimax bandsaw owners

I took delivery of a new S500P (MM20) today and I was confused to find these steel guides (upper and lower) on the saw. I was under the impression that the saw came with Carter guides as standard. Even if that hadn't happened, I would have accepted the euro style bearing guides.

Does anyone else have these guides? Was I sent a really old stock item or "frankenstein" saw?

Also, curious if anyone else has purchased recently and got different guides.

The thing is a beast for sure, I can't wait to use it.

IMG_1307.JPGIMG_1306.JPG

Jeff,

On Monday I would be calling Mini-Max.

Looking at their website, your photograph and their photograph of a Carter guide agrees.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jeff,

Check out this link. You have the Carter guides..... http://www.carterproducts.com/produc...=205&cat_id=26
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Those are Carter guides .. Same as on my saw..

* red cheeks * well... thank you gentlemen for pointing that out. I had checked the Carter site before but was looking under retrofit models. I am a happy camper now.

Cheers.

I wish my MM16 came with those.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I wish my MM16 came with those.
    They look like a nice setup to me also. One thing to remember, when you have a saw that can adequately tension the blade, the guides don't need to do as much guiding.

The first picture where it has "www.carterproducts.com" was probably a decent hint

Congrats on the saw, should be a lot of fun.

Those are old pictures.. from the installation.. I bought them from Carter and replaced the destroyed Carter guides on my old saw.

Above is after 25 years of being used by a guy who didn't actually pay for the saw..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    The first picture where it has "www.carterproducts.com" was probably a decent hint

Congrats on the saw, should be a lot of fun.
    I deserve that, but hey, it was the end of a long day and I was focused on "ZEFYR" (thought it was the brand). I didn't mention that I had to tear open the motor, to remove the end cap, to hammer out some blunt force damage that happened during shipping. The fan was rubbing on the cap where it was dented in.

How about this switch? All pictures that I can google show a red, push button type. I understand they had problems in the past with the switches, is this the new style? It has three settings, Off, an upside down "T" shape and On.

IMG_1308.JPG
    Last edited by Jeff Hallam; 07-14-2013 at 9:49 AM.

No problem with that, they have replaced the old switches with a Siemens Magnetic Starter, I bought the same saw a month a go and it runs like a charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hallam View Post
    I deserve that, but hey, it was the end of a long day and I was focused on "ZEFYR" (thought it was the brand). I didn't mention that I had to tear open the motor, to remove the end cap, to hammer out some blunt force damage that happened during shipping. The fan was rubbing on the cap where it was dented in.

How about this switch? All pictures that I can google show a red, push button type. I understand they had problems in the past with the switches, is this the new style? It has three settings, Off, an upside down "T" shape and On.

IMG_1308.JPG

I run a MM20, which is similar in many ways.

I replaced the stock guides (the thrust bearings were shot and the side guides were so large they interfered with resawing).
    I ordered a set of Carter all-roller bearing guides to retrofit my saw (three ball bearings on each).

They're PITA to set up, and nearly impossible to get perfectly aligned. (The rear thrust bearing has a groove along one edge - hard to get that vertical with the blade.)
    The design you have was my first choice, and the one I would now recommend.

It may impart more drag, but you'll be able to get it aligned without so much trouble.
    The disadvantage of the switch you have is that there's no panic stop capability.

I'm not sure that makes much difference, and it should last longer.

That's what the foot brake is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I run a MM20, which is similar in many ways.

I replaced the stock guides (the thrust bearings were shot and the side guides were so large they interfered with resawing).
    I ordered a set of Carter all-roller bearing guides to retrofit my saw (three ball bearings on each).

They're PITA to set up, and nearly impossible to get perfectly aligned. (The rear thrust bearing has a groove along one edge - hard to get that vertical with the blade.)
    The design you have was my first choice, and the one I would now recommend.

It may impart more drag, but you'll be able to get it aligned without so much trouble.
    The disadvantage of the switch you have is that there's no panic stop capability.

I'm not sure that makes much difference, and it should last longer.

Hey good luck with the mm20, those carter guides do look interesting..

I have to confess, I have a Gen I MM16, if I had to do it all over again I wish I had bought a mm20 instead ( but please don' t tell the boss lady that). I have one of the original AEG switches that that were so much trouble on the MM bandsaws, not one bit of trouble with it and the saw is 12 or 13 years old..

Confirmed. Those are carter guides. Works great. I don't have one but I'm happy with my ceramic guides.,