Thread: Old Craftsman Shaper Problem

Old Craftsman Shaper Problem

Help, please. I found an old Craftsman Shaper, model-113.239.20, serial-8236-00023, at an auction. Then I found its manual on-line. Someone made a stand for it. I will get a motor and cutters if I can resolve a missing parts problem first.

Per the manual's exploded diagram, there should be a "lock stud" (threaded rod), "lock knob", "washer", and "jam nut" that come from the right side to enter the "support table" and tighten against the "spindle assembly" once the cutter is set to the correct height. The exploded diagram specs 3/8 x 24 threads on each end of the "lock stud". However, on the actual shaper the two holes in the "support table" that accept the "lock stud" have no threads. And they are not the same diameter.

Can anyone out there offer a solution to this problem or point me to a resource that might help?

Thanks
    Ed

Some pictures sure would make this more descriptive.

There are a lot of mechanical people here, if you could post the manual or link it here, you might get more responses.

Sorry 'bout that. This link http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=616 should take you to the manual. Exploded view and parts list are pages 22, 23. Parts in question are 7, 8, 9, & 10.
    Thanks

Sears appears to still carry a few parts for those. Try HERE.

Otherwise, older Craftsman shaper parts turn up fairly often on ebay. Another alternative is to advertise in the classified section on this site or over at OWWM. Those shapers are not highly sought after, so there are probably plenty of parts available if you ask around.
    Last edited by david brum; 07-13-2013 at 9:31 PM.

Ed- those look like parts you could get generically. Unfortunately, it does not look like the manual shows how it the knob is inserted into the support table. If it were me, I would take a good look at it and try to figure it out. Somehow it just jambs the spindle in the support table so that it cant move. How hard could it be?

Unless I am missing something in the parts break down the stud screws into the spindle housing or so it appears and the knob that tightens it on the other end. Am I seeing this wrong? Photos would help because the breakdown is leaving a little to be desired here. You could probable make your own if you wanted or possibly find a stud. good luck.

The stud should screw into the spindle housing and lock the spindle at the proper height. However, on the actual shaper, the holes in the housing have no threads. The parts would be easy to make. Threads on the parts and no threads where the parts go is the problem.

I have one of these shapers, and the best I can tell you is that the stud threads into something deep within the cast iron base. Whether it threads into the base itself or some other unseen part of the spindle assembly, I cannot tell for sure, but it seems as though it just threads into the base, passes through the opening for the spindle and then presses against the spindle like a set screw. I took the stud out and put it back and I had a little trouble starting it on the threads, but it's hard to figure how it could get stripped unless it rusted?
    Last edited by Edmund Burke; 07-16-2013 at 3:22 PM.

Ed, were you able to see threads on both ends of the rod (stud)? Maybe the threads shown in the exploded view on the stud end that tightens against the spindle assembly are really not there. Maybe the rod is inserted through the first hole, then the second hole with the spindle assembly removed, then the jam nut and washer are threaded on. Then the rod is pushed back through the first hole and the knob is screwed on. With that assumption I got a 3/8" rod and tried inserting it through both holes. It will not pass through the second hole to make contact with the spindle assembly. Hole to small. ???

Yes, there are threads on both ends of the stud/rod. I took it out and put it back in. I can't tell where the threaded rod ends up within the base (and though I'm trying to help, I'm not going to disassemble the spindle and base to find out) but I don't think the stud/rod embeds into the spindle? The jam nut and washer just serve to hold the knob on. Just based on feel, the stud/rod seems to thread into one tapped hole in the base (not visible in the exploded view) and then it bears against the spindle (or maybe some collar that bears against the spindle?). I will say that it was not easy to get the threads started after I removed the stud and re-inserted it. It took some finesse and there was some sawdust to deal with. If I were you, I'd feed something like a gun cleaning brush or similar wire brush into the hole in the base and feel for the threads. They have to be there somewhere. Good luck!

No, no need to disassemble your's any more. Thanks for what you did though. Mine is a bit easier to see because it is already disassembled. Two other guys have looked at as well. And NO threads are present in either hole. Will keep at it. Thanks again.

Here's a pic of the stud and where it mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Ed,

I came across this item on E-Bay. It looks like it might be the kind of spindle clamp that you have been describing for your shaper. Check it out...

End time: Aug 28, 2013, 5:23:11 PM EDT

View item:
    Vintage Craftsman Wood Shaper (model number 103.23922) Spindle Clamp