Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice About Porter Cable 23 Gauge Pin Nailer

Advice About Porter Cable 23 Gauge Pin Nailer

From time to time I have thought it would be useful to have a 23 gauge pin nailer, but I haven’t been too excited about plunking down $200 for one when my need is not that great.

Now I see that Home Depot is selling the new (?) PC 23 gauge pin-nailer for $99. Has anyone used this tool? Any feedback about it?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick, I got my PC pin nailer about a year ago and it is a very useful tool. I use it a lot making hardwood furniture, the hole is so small it is nearly impossible to see, especially in open grained woods like oak. I use it to pin materials in place prior to clamping, it is much better than the brad nailer I used to use which required filling and blending.

Harley

Rick,
    I have owned one for 2-3 years now and find it very useful. In fact I am amazed how much I use it. I used it this week in fact!
    If you watch Norm regularly, you will see that he uses one lately too.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Love it. Installs trim, 1/4" sheets of anything. Unnoticeable holes. If more holding power is needed, shoot more pins! Used more than the framing nailer, 15 gauge, 18 gauge or stapler.

I have one and it works fine, it does exactly what I expect it to. When I was researching which one to buy, there was quite a bit of negative reports on the Porter Cable model...all from professional trim installers. I am more of a hobbiest, so I expect many years of service from mine. If you are going to use it every day, professionally, you might want to consider a more expensive model.

I have the PC, in fact it is my third one. The first two bit the dust when dropped from 10 feet onto concrete. I use it every day and like the feel, the price, the size, and the fit to my hand. I've used the Cadex, Max, and the Grex. I own the Greex that shoots longer pins. If you need to shoot pins longer than 1 inch go with the Grex. You may have to grind the tip of the PC to get it to sink pins below the surface, and you'll need to replace the driver more frequently than in the larger drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clow View Post
    I have one and it works fine, it does exactly what I expect it to. When I was researching which one to buy, there was quite a bit of negative reports on the Porter Cable model.
    It seems to me that maybe I have read some of those same reviews. Lots of times, though, it is tough sorting out genuine “reviews” by ordinary users from comments made by so-called pros who demand levels of performance far exceeding the requirements of us mere mortals.

From the way it sounds, the PC pin nailer performs very well and I guess at $99 it is a good value.

Thanks, everyone, for the input!

Rick

Unless something has changed, Bill makes a very good point on the PC nailer--it is designed to sink the pins flush, not below the surface like some of the others. There is no adjustment other than with a grinder. That was disappointing to me when I bought one.

Rick,You'll be happy with the PC.I own 9 different guns and different brands.You can use your air presser to adjust deep.The biggest problem with nailers people do not keep them oiled and to much presser .Get it and enjoy it they are all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Spievak View Post
    You may have to grind the tip of the PC to get it to sink pins below the surface, and you'll need to replace the driver more frequently than in the larger drivers.
    Hmmm…grinding things. This sounds worrisome. What needs to be ground?

Rick

I had the same experience with pins sometimes not sufficiently sunk. I filed the prong blades to permit the plunger to sink the pin more deeply. Still disappointed by the indentations of the prongs, somewhat marring the surface, I bought a Grex. Should have done that first....but my cheapness trumped my reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Unless something has changed, Bill makes a very good point on the PC nailer--it is designed to sink the pins flush, not below the surface like some of the others. There is no adjustment other than with a grinder. That was disappointing to me when I bought one.
    That begs the question, "why would they design a pin nailer to sink pins flush?" I'm just curious because I have been on the fence for awhile and decided on the Grex 635, which I'm finally taken delivery today.
    I wonder if the PC manual actually says to increase or decrease air pressure for proper pin set? Not starting anything Just curious.
    Gary
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 10-16-2007 at 2:00 PM. Reason: error

Been pleased with my PC. No real complaints- mine sets the pins just below the surface (I've had no need to regrind) and no issues with marring the surface unless you bear down too heavily. A good tool at a good price. I had two Bostich HP118K's previously and returned both. They worked well at first but then started to leave the pins proud of the surface. My PC has seen a lot of use over the last four months (I'm a trim carpenter) and so far it has proven reliable. I've heard nothing but good things about the Grex and may get one in the future- primarily for the extra pin length (the PC is limited to 1" pins) but having said that I think the PC should serve you well.

A lot depends on your budget also. I've used a PC belonging to a friend and it performed just fine. I recently bought a Cadex pin nailer and was amazed at the difference. No marks and the pins set perfectly.

When I contact PC support about it they said it was working as designed. That was in the pre B&D days when their support was generally considered good.

The tech actually told me about the grinding trick, but I never tried it.