Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Powermatic parts, I know they're out there, but where?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Sandusky OH

    Powermatic parts, I know they're out there, but where?

    I recently bought a PM81 "20 band saw that is in rough shape, and I can't save the upper door. The metal has been stretched so that it now has a bow that just springs back out when I try to pound it flat. Anybody know where I could find another door? I have looked online but have found squat. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I would take it to a long established auto body shop. The oldtimers know how to shrink metal and may be able to fix it for you. I think they used to heat it, then give it a quick water quench to shock it. The new guys can even do no paint hail damage these days.

  3. #3
    Seconded. or try to find local machinist to fix it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Cache Valley, Utah
    Or you could go over to owwm dot com and go to the "BOYD" forum and post a want ad for a new one.

    But I agree an auto body shop would be quicker and less trouble. If you can find a small local outfit that isn't only interested in doing high dollar insurance jobs, you might have better luck.

  5. #5
    ebay may have parts, anything can pop up. Or it could likely be fixed. Heat with a torch, allow to slowly cool (annealing), maybe beat it flat while hot. I think a little youtube searching would let you know what to do.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    LI, NY
    R Coers is correct. a body shop should be able to take the bow or "drum" out of it. a spot is choosen usually just a hair beyond the "high spot") and heat with a tourch until yellow/red. about the size of aquater., then quench with a towel soaked in water. this expands, then shrinks that area and the quick cooling sets the metal. it is done all around the panel untill you have the metal "tight". another way is to make a deep dent which uses up the extra surface area of the metal then it is filled and then ground/sanded and finished. If the "extra " metal is along the edge, it can be cut, a pie shaped piece removed and then slit welded closed.
    All that would cost a good penny but if a replacement door can not be found, at least you know it could be fixed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The Hartland of Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Or you could go over to owwm dot com and go to the "BOYD" forum and post a want ad for a new one.
    That's OWWM. ORG
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

  8. #8
    A good welder would know how to do that as well. A friend of mine straightened the beams on my sawmill by heating on one edge. Had some new jacks welded onto it, and it made the beams humped. But luckily my friend needed some wood beams sawn, and he saw that I was getting a slight hump in the beams and looked down the bed of the mill and saw it. Said bring it over to the shop and he heated the beams and they went straight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts