Thread: Is there such a thing as a MT2 to 1 1/4 x 8 TPI adapter?

Is there such a thing as a MT2 to 1 1/4 x 8 TPI adapter?

I'm looking to mount a piece (a large diameter hollow tube basically) on my woodworking lathe between 2 longworth chucks I made. The only problem is I haven't found a way to attach a faceplace or anything similar to my tail stock. I was googling around for something that went from the MT2 in my tail stock to a 1 1/4 x 8 TPI, but so far I haven't found anything. Does a piece like this exist? If not is there some more clever way to mount something large and hollow, while keeping it centered correctly on both ends?

-Stephen

If it doesn't need to rotate there's this:

http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/tailchucad.html

I got an adapter at Craft Supplies to fit on my powernatic center. Remove cone and it threads on the center. Various size threads available to attach faceplates or chucks.

How is that for quick responses!!!!

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm pretty sure it's going to need to turn so I'll check out craft supplies to see if I can find it. I'm afraid the friction from the object might be a bit too much if it's not live.

Stephen, of you can't find it send me a pm.

This one is live but it's only 1x8 so you'd need a 1x8 to 1.25x8 adaptor to fit your chuck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004CVJC1Q

Sometimes they're called "reverse chuck adapters"

Oneway also makes one (sold at craft supplies) that fits both their and a powermatic / jet adapter. I think they call it a Multi-tip revolving center chuck adapter.
    I have one and it works great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Stephen, the thread on the end of the Oneway, Jet or PM live center is 3/4 x 10 tpi, and CSUSA sells the live center adaptor John speaks of - shown here. I have an aluminum version that was cheaper, but I don't recall where I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Clark2 View Post
    This one is live but it's only 1x8 so you'd need a 1x8 to 1.25x8 adaptor to fit your chuck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004CVJC1Q
    If you are doing what I think you are trying to do, the cheapest way would be one of these in the link and a 1-8 TPI face plate. I have one and use it with a chuck to hold the tailstock end of the wood "barrels" I make.

Turn a plug for the end?

You don't say how large of piece you are trying to hold, but you could turn a plug and hold it between centers like this. 032009WhiteOak#6-069.jpg

If you want to put the adapter in the tailstock and have it rotate there is a simple solution. Teknatool "Nova" has a 1/14x8 adapter that fits into their Nova tailstock. So you would need the Nova tailstock and the "chuck" adapter. That would allow whatever you have attached to it to rotate in the live center.