Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A chest for a saw

A chest for a saw

So last summer I was chatting with my neighbor in his garage when I spotted an older Craftsman RAS under a stack of boxes, old magazines and paint cans. I mentioned to him he could get the recall parts for it and talked to him a little about the saw.

As I came to understand, at one time that saw had been his one large and cherished power tool with which he built a bookcase and put up some shelves. Now my neighbor isn't much of a woodworker so when he successfully built a bookcase, he was immensely proud of his accomplishment and as he stated, used it for many years.

Fast forward a few weeks and he's ringing my doorbell and asks if I would like his saw. He says the parts have arrived and he wants me to have the saw as he hasn't used it in a decade or more. I accept and shortly thereafter had it all cleaned up, aligned and working in my shop.

My neighbor's an older guy and is retired. He and his wife are two of the nicest people I've ever met. So in thanks for his gracious gift, I decided I'd build him a piece of furniture using his saw. It's kind of like having your wife bake a loaf of zucchini bread for your gardener friend after he gives you a sack of zucchini!

I decided on a smallish chest of drawers, a Philadelphia 5 drawer variety with ogee bracket feet and a couple fluted quarter-columns.

Its made from cherry with poplar and pine as secondary woods. I sawed and veneered a little curly cherry to the drawer fronts. The finish is dye, oil and garnet shellac. I antiqued it a little with a Lonnie Bird technique of using the sludgy goop from the bottom of a can of stain which then you paint carefully into the corners and edges with an artist's brush then wipe away the excess. (worked great!) All the dovetailing is hand made and all the parts are smoothed by hand plane. I left the tool marks on pretty much all the unseen surfaces should anyone ever look for them. I tried to build it as period correct as I could, given my limited access to information about such pieces.

My neighbor and his wife were stunned and moved nearly to tears. Watching their reaction was priceless and made the four months I'd been poking away at building it all worthwhile!

As always, comments/criticism/suggestions are always welcomed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    That was a heck of a nice thing to do! Nice job on the chest! You're a good man.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

That is a fine chest and a thoughtful way to thank your neighbor for the gift. Fine woodworking indeed.

Wow, the value of your gift is worth far more than the RAS. What a nice neighbor you are.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Exceptionally nice, I love your dovetails ! Not machine made !!!
    MARK

I like it too very nice gifting and woodworking,I have a question on the back is that metal your makers mark?Been interested in something similar for my works.

Brett, I have been impressed with your past projects and this one is also great. I am thinking you need into my neighborhood . . . . I am sure I can find some old tool to "give" you . . . Patrick

Dude, stop making the rest of so painfully aware of what mediocre woodworkers we are!!!!

Great stuff Brett!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Beautiful job on the chest. Kudos to you for being one of the good guys that pops up now and again and renews my faith in the species . I am sure that piece will be cherished forever.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice Brett. The chest is superb, as well as the deed you did for your neighbor.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I just noticed how you progress from three dovetails on the top drawer to six on the bottom drawer. Impressive to say the least.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

And I just noticed you didn't post a picture of the saw...

(Nice chest btw!)

Oh man.

You gave that away?
    I would have it behind glass, locked for safe keeping.

I would call her, "My precious".

That's one prince of a gift, there.

Kudos.

Beautiful work and an incredible thing for you to do!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I like it too very nice gifting and woodworking,I have a question on the back is that metal your makers mark?Been interested in something similar for my works.
    Ya, the little brass plate has my name and location on it. I order them from Woodcraft. They're pretty cheap as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Dude, stop making the rest of so painfully aware of what mediocre woodworkers we are!!!!Great stuff Brett!
    Nah, If I can hack my way through a piece like this anyone can!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    And I just noticed you didn't post a picture of the saw... (Nice chest btw!)
    Good idea! Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Oh man.

You gave that away?
    I would have it behind glass, locked for safe keeping.

I would call her, "My precious".

That's one prince of a gift, there.

Kudos.
    LOL! Now that's just funny right there!

So the saw's nothing special, it's your garden variety Craftsman from the 80's. Despite being a Craftsman, it seems to work really well and has held it's settings better than I had anticipated. I did plumb in a mini cyclone system into the cabinet I made for it which does a great job of catching most of the sawdust. For a free saw, I can't complain!
    Attached Images Attached Images