Thread: Outfeed table finish

Outfeed table finish

I am building a TS outfeed table and assembly bench (4'x6'4") and was wondering what type of finish to use. I was originialy going to laminate MDF but the price of a full sheet of laminate is more than a sheet of 3/4" Birch ply, and I already had the ply. So, I am looking for recommendations on what type of finish for the Birch ply. Here is what I am considering.....Behlens Rock Hard, Arm-R-Seal or Watco and wax. Any other recommendations? I want something that will be durable and resist stain and other inevitable spills.

I am also going to edge band it with either Hickory or Maple that I have in the wood pile.

Thanks
    Mike
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

I used Arm-R-Seal for mine, and it's held up quite well for about three years now. Mine is also Birch ply. It's seen a lot of use, and does have some scuffs, etc. on it, but overall has proven very durable.

I use just BLO on shop surfaces including my work bench...it's renewable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mike -

Short of the laminate option, recommend the Watco and wax solution. The Watco will seal well enough and the wax will keep things moving.

Did you check the reject bin at Lowe's? I have had good luck there in the past. Both sides don't have to be the same color either.

Ted

If not melamine of laminate, my work surfaces are coated with poly. If it gets too scratched I just sand and re-coat.