Thread: Retrofit sliding table saw to use dado stack?

Question Retrofit sliding table saw to use dado stack?

Hello all,

New to the forums here. I am strongly considering purchasing a European 5-in-1 combination machine to save some real estate (and because a 12" jointer is just too tempting). There are a few sacrifices I will have to make that I am convincing myself won't be too bad, but I'll leave that discussion for the other threads on the topic. One of the potential issues I see with it is this: it appears that it cannot accept a dado blade. The particular model I am looking at is a Minimax Lab 300N (man. in 2002). I understand I can adapt and overcome with a router setup, but I am used to using the dado stack for a lot of my work. Is there a reasonable way to modify the arbor or sliding table to accept a dado stack? I don't believe this is a problem for the newer models, but it appears to be for 2002 and earlier.

Also, if anyone has any personal experience (good or bad) with this model and would like to offer a perspective, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Andrew

Andrew, basicsally, not possible on the LAB300N. It would mean a whole new saw arbor and then custom machining the sliding table. You would be better off either installing a router lift in the saw/shaper outfeed table or just getting a separate saw just for doing dado cuts. The most entry level combo machine in our lineup that does dado is the CU300, the next tier up from the LAB300. Hope this helps clarify.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Thanks for the info Erik! I guess I should have started with a phone call to Minimax... Glad you guys are here to help clarify.